Acrylic topped concrete deck

rborn

Jan 29, 2015
Cypress, Texas
I have always heard from industry (construction) professionals that there is a minimum wait time for the concrete to properly dry before applying acrylic topping; that being a total of 5 consecutive dry days. The pool builder poured the concrete during rainfalls, and then topped it 2 days after the last rainfall.

Should I be worried about future quality issues with the deck?

New concrete cures faster and better if kept wet, so the rain may have benefited you. If you have textured acrylic like mine, they first apply a bonding coat followed by texture, and finally the color coat. Only the final color coat is impervious to moisture, so it wasn't sealed until the final coat. I don't think you will have a problem.

My deck is over ten years old now and I've had no problems. In fact, I just finished putting a new color coat on it and it looks as good or better than the day it was originally finished.

New concrete cures faster and better if kept wet, so the rain may have benefited you. If you have textured acrylic like mine, they first apply a bonding coat followed by texture, and finally the color coat. Only the final color coat is impervious to moisture, so it wasn't sealed until the final coat. I don't think you will have a problem.

My deck is over ten years old now and I've had no problems. In fact, I just finished putting a new color coat on it and it looks as good or better than the day it was originally finished.

Thank you Sir.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.