Pump won't fully prime

tlevy

Jun 3, 2015
Ottawa/Ontario
Hi All

First time, post introductions, that I have asked a question, so please advise if I am not doing something correctly!

We are first time pool owners and have had little to no training. Our pool is an inground salt pool - Hayward Aquarite salt generator and sand filter, as well as a Hayward propane heater. Our pump is a 1/2 hp Tristar. The pool is about 80,000 gallons in volume.

The issue that we are trying to sort out is that the Tristar seems to be pumping no problem but it consistently has 1 inch of head space in the top - we are told that a fully primed pump should have no air in it whatsoever. We do not have any air bubbles in the supply jets, and the water level in the pool is halfway up the skimmer. We have checked the seal at the pump as well, and don't seem to have air leaks there, though it is tough to say.

So - is this a problem? Will it damage the pump? One thing we are concerned with is whether the chlorine levels are going up - the salt ppm is around 3000, but we aren't sure if the chlorine is going up - are these related issues?
0424388ad9a9a09163f7c4afeaa87aa6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome tlevy! :wave: 80K pool! Wow. What a monster. You must post some pics one day. As for your concern about air in the system ... here is one page on TFP that discusses the most common reasons for air in the pump basket area: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Naturally we would like to have zero air under the skimmer pot lid, but sometimes, depending upon an owner's system, there may be a few. I would suggest you confirm that you've looked at all the items on the lin provided so e can make another determination. One other question - even with the air gap, are you losing prime to the pump when it's on high, or is it just a low level when the pump is on low?

As for the chlorine question, we would need some good test results to know how to answer that one. Since you're north of the border, it's my understanding you can't get the TF-100 test kit sent to you, and the Taylor 2006 is a bit pricey unless you are coming to our side of town. :) Either way, you really need one of those kits so you can send us some god numbers. Anything else would be guesswork on our part.

Very happy to have you aboard in TFP. Stay in touch and ask all the questions you need to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.