Need to clarify SLAM procedures

Apr 25, 2015
Tyler TX
Hi - just wanted to clarify a few points before SLAMing. I'll be using 8.25% bleach from grocery store. According to Pool Math, I believe I need about 8 64-oz bottles.

Test results this morning using my new TFT100 test kit:
FC .5
CC 2
TC 2.5
CH 275
TA 110
CYA 65-70 (have a hard time reading this test)
pH 8.2
Water is clear.

Since the pH is high, do I need to address that before or after SLAM?

Is it ok to add bleach through skimmers? I've read both ways.

I assume I add all 8 bottles at once, then when do I test FC again? Then depending on the results, I add bleach to keep it at shock level for how long?

Regarding the CYA, this is the only test I've had trouble figuring out. If I can still see a shadow of the black dot, does that count? I thought I'd take a sample to the pool store just to compare their CYA results with mine.

Thanks so much for your help.
Carolyn

Yes, you need to adjust the pH before starting the SLAM. This is because during the SLAM you'll be maintaining an FC of well over 10. The pH test is unreliable above 10 FC. Get your pH to 7.2 before starting. Use muriatic acid to lower pH.

Bleach should be added SLOWLY in front of your returns. Pump should be running and this will help distribute the bleach before it goes through your equipment. Dumping directly into your skimmer exposes your skimmer and pumping equipment to high levels of FC, which is not good.

If you can still see the shadow of the dot, you're not there yet. The dot should disappear and you should only see cloudy white. Make sure you're doing the test in full sunlight outdoors, with your back to the sun, holding the tube at about waist height. Forget the pool store testing. They are bad at testing in general and they're the worst at CYA testing.

You'll need more than 8 gallons of bleach. 8 gallons may get you to your target FC for the SLAM but you need to KEEP the FC at that SLAM level as much as you can. SLAMing is a process of maintaining your FC over time to eliminate algae. That being said, add half of the bleach you intend to for reaching your FC target and retest FC after 30 minutes to an hour. Add more to get you to your target FC. Make sure you're using Pool Math for all your additions.

lower your pH before SLAM. use pool math and use a target of 7.2 and add the required amount of muriatic acid.

CYA is a bit high but you can do it, just going to need a lot of chlorine. CYA test takes a bit to get used to, have you watched their video explaining what to look for? If not, google that. Do not take your water sample to the pool store to confirm CYA...they will be way off. not even close to accurate. your test is probably +/- 10ppm I bet.

add the bleach in front of one of the return jets. by the way, you are going to need a lot more than 8 jugs of bleach. you need to stock up. with your FC so low and your CC that high, you have algae issues. the SLAM process takes a while and it consumes a lot of chlorine the first few days.

also, do yourself a favor and remove the light from the pool along with any ladders, etc. that will help speed things up.

- - - Updated - - -

haha JVtrain beat me to it I guess. we were both typing at same time.

good news is that It sounds like you didn't do the CYA test right and need to add more, which means your CYA is lower. get that squared away first so you can get a good target FC level based on your CYA.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume I add all 8 bottles at once, then when do I test FC again? Then depending on the results, I add bleach to keep it at shock level for how long?

Carolyn

you need to re-read the SLAM procedures again. you keep your FC above the shock level the entire time...until you pass the three criteria. at first, you will be adding chlorine every couple of hours. that slows down after a while.

Thanks - the video on CYA testing helped. I did it several times, and came up with a CYA of 55 each time. Since that's lower than recommended for SWG, should I add stabilizer before SLAMing? Can I do it at the same time I add muriatic acid?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Dan. Now a really dumb question - are the "returns" where the water is returned from the filter to the pool? Where I can see the water moving when the pump is on?

There are no dumb questions! It's a lot to take in when managing your pool for the first time. Returns are where the water returns into the pool from the pump/filter so yes, the return jets where water moves when the pump is on. If the return eyeballs are aimed upward, they create more ripples on the pool surface.

When you said I needed lots of bleach, I had NO idea! Our local grocery store had a good sale, so I bought every bottle they had, and now need more. Yes, Pat, I'm really enjoying the test kit. Thank goodness for speedstir!

Between 1:30 pm and 10:00 pm, I added 8 gallons of bleach. Finally got to shock level at 8:00 last night, but it didn't stay at that level much more than an hour. Does that count? This morning I tested before sun hit pool, and FC was back down to 11.5. I'm curious, since our water has always been clear, what is growing in there to eat up all that chlorine? I'm not running the SWG, per advice here, but I thought it would be higher this morning.

Ammonia? That's a new one on me. Do you mean kids in the pool?
There is a bacteria that can convert CYA to ammonia.

A SLAM takes lots of chlorine to clear up the water. More at teh beginning, but it slows down as time goes on. The key it to hit it hard and test and adjust back to shock level more often in the beginning. Every hour or two if you can manage it.

When you said I needed lots of bleach, I had NO idea! Our local grocery store had a good sale, so I bought every bottle they had, and now need more. Yes, Pat, I'm really enjoying the test kit. Thank goodness for speedstir!

Between 1:30 pm and 10:00 pm, I added 8 gallons of bleach. Finally got to shock level at 8:00 last night, but it didn't stay at that level much more than an hour. Does that count? This morning I tested before sun hit pool, and FC was back down to 11.5. I'm curious, since our water has always been clear, what is growing in there to eat up all that chlorine? I'm not running the SWG, per advice here, but I thought it would be higher this morning.

water can look clear but that doesn't mean there isn't algae. you will be surprised how "clear" it gets. I thought my pool was clear, but it wasn't. have you remove your light from the pool or any ladders, etc? my pool had a ton of nasty algae in the light niche. get that out of there.

you will consume a lot of bleach for the first couple of days, it will slow down after that.

when you are in the early stages and consuming a ton of FC, you should increase your FC levels above the SLAM. not sure what your FC slam level is, but say its 25ppm. at first, raise it to 30ppm. that will allow your FC to stay above the SLAM level longer. Add more chlorine/bleach when your FC drifts back down to the SLAM level. you want to keep your FC at or above the SLAM level. best way to do that is to give yourself a little buffer. after a few days the FC drop slows down and you can not raise it as high, but its helpful the first couple days.

but get the light out of the pool definitely.

- - - Updated - - -

Might there be ammonia that's eating up the chlorine?

don't think so, if she had a lot of ammonia in the pool, her CYA would be low. CYA is pretty high.

I realize there is no Ocean State Job Lot south of New Jersey, but perhaps a similar type of store is located nearby (Big Lots?). I've bought 3 cases (4 gal./) of 12.5%/gal Mega-Shock for their everyday price of $2.99/gallon over the past 3 days.

Thanks, Husky25 - I'll check out the Big Lots & Dollar Stores here.

Dan, I'm not sure if the light comes out of our pool or that I could manage to do it even if it does. Anything else I can try? We don't have a ladder so don't have to deal with that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.