Mar 26, 2015
Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I recently added a 20ft solar water heating panel to my setup and want to move it to a more permanent location that gets the most sunlight throughout the day. Based on where my filter and pump are now, I will likely need 15-20ft runs from the first diverter valve to the panel, and another back out of the panel to the second valve.

I have two questions:

1) I have a 1hp Hayward powerflo matrix pump. Should I be concerned with head loss from this type of run? The water will be elevated about 6 feet as it moves from the filter through the panel. I have the panel set up in a temporary location right now and filter pressure is normal, water flow out of the return jet is a little low, but I think that's to be expected. As I said above, I have diverters in place that will allow enough pressure/suction for vacuuming, and to run the pump directly when its not sunny outside.

2) Assuming the distance and elevation isn't an issue, there doesn't seem to be a labeled 'filter hose' available that's longer than 12ft. I am trying to avoid using straight PVC as the equipment itself is removed when I close the pool, so the more flexible and less permanent the solution the better. Is it a no-no to use 1.5" vacuum hose for something like this?

Below a picture of how I have it plumbed in its temporary location right now. The pump/filter and diverters could all be moved a few feet over to help accommodate a shorter run, but the image is representative of how the setup will work. It's not pictured, but the panel will be mounted to the back rail of the pool deck angled at about 30 degrees.

Imgur

Thanks in advance!

Just use PVC and then convert to something easy to remove at the end. Back to pool hose if you want, or stay with PVC and use unions. That run won't be an issue. In ground pools have that kind of run all the time and use the same sized pumps or even smaller.

Thanks for the reply John. Do you suggest replacing everything from the filter out with PVC, or just the runs I need to make to/from the solar panel? Forgive me, I'm a bit ignorant on how the fittings would all work in this situation.

These are the diverter valves:

Amazon.com : 3 Way Fibropool Diverter Pool Valve 1 1/2 Garden

Would I just get 1.5" threaded PVC for those ends, and use whatever unions/elbows necessary to make the runs? What would you use to convert it back to a normal pool hose at the other end?

You convert from hose to PVC with 1-1/2" barb PVC fittings.

Doing plumbing like that is a little bit of a puzzle. Sometimes I spend a half hour in the plumbing aisle trying to figure out what I need. I always forget one piece at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.