Green/aqua tint to water - out of ideas

Jul 23, 2010
Southern NH
Quick specs: 18k gallon SWG pool. My water seems to have a green/aqua tint to it that I can't cure. Upon opening my pool this year, I did my usual routine:

1. install filters used only for first few days of opening
2. keep CF at 14 until overnight test shows no drop in FC
3. replace opening filters with "rest of the season" filters once chemistry is correct. same model filters.

I recently ran at FC 14 for five straight days and there was no change in the color of the water. The deep end is noticeably more aqua than the shallow end. My current readings are:

FC: 10
CC: 0
pH: 7.2-7.5
TA: 100
CH: 40
CYA: 30 (in the process of getting this back up to recommended levels)
Salt: 3300 PPM
Temp: I had it at 80 after the warm weather, but then it dropped to 64 as I was up at FC 14 for the last five days. D'oh!

Here is a picture of the water, taken this morning. The photo may not accurately portray what I am seeing (iPhone photo)... but I assure you the water doesn't look 100% normal:

IMG_0378.JPG

Any suggestions on what I should try? Thanks!

Well, in the pic, your pool looks fairly normal but here's what I think is occurring.....

You have some iron in your pool that has precipitated out of solution. The yellowish now visible iron is combining with the blue of your water and giving you a greenish cast.

Based on that pic. I would do nothing and let it come out on it's own. Elevated chlorine usually is the root cause so let your FC drop back to around 3-6 ppm and hold it there.

If it doesn't return to normal after a week or so, then you will likely need to add a sequestrant but I wouldn't go there just yet......I think it will solve itself. Keep your filter running and don't be surprised if your filter picks up that yellowish/brownish iron.......that's what it's supposed to do.

Well, in the pic, your pool looks fairly normal but here's what I think is occurring.....

You have some iron in your pool that has precipitated out of solution. The yellowish now visible iron is combining with the blue of your water and giving you a greenish cast.

Thank you. We do have high levels of iron in our water here. I haven't filled from the hose yet this year, but I did late last year. Perhaps that is to blame here. I will do as you advised and give it a week.

To the other poster... no, I did not use any algaecide. And the pH has been in the 7.2-7.8 range since opening. Overnight test shows a stable FC level.

The bottom of your pool sure looks like it has metal stains on it.

This is of interest to me... I've noticed the edges of the liner seems to be yellowing a bit. I also have a bit of discoloration on my steps and cove. Is this related to metal in the water? Is the staining permanent?

To be honest, I have not researched issues with metal in water. I do have some StainFree that I picked up when the pool was first installed. Not sure which direction to take if that is what is leaving a yellow-ish tint on my liner.

This is of interest to me... I've noticed the edges of the liner seems to be yellowing a bit. I also have a bit of discoloration on my steps and cove. Is this related to metal in the water? Is the staining permanent?

To be honest, I have not researched issues with metal in water. I do have some StainFree that I picked up when the pool was first installed. Not sure which direction to take if that is what is leaving a yellow-ish tint on my liner.

I'm talking about the distinct color difference in the marked area below:

IMG_0378.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.