High FC Level

Oct 29, 2008
Just received the T100 test kit (hooray) so now I have an accurate FC reading. Some background - have partially (70%) drained and refilled the pool twice this month due to very high CYA levels (bad advice at the pool store). Anyway, went to the BBB method with the help of this great site and pool is finally clear.

Unfortunately, I am still very high with CYA and shock level of FC hasn't gone down as much as I thought. Based on the results below, can I swim right now? We are in S. Florida and pool is heated to 85.

FC = 27
CC = .5
CYA = 90
PH = 7.2

Thanks!
Michele

Hi, Michelle,

I would swim in your pool, others on the forum would not.

The high CYA level in your pool really takes the "edge" (figuratively) of the harshness of chlorine. Some say to wear an old bathing suit in case of fading but I have yet to hear a report of a swimsuit faded in an outdoor pool.

The FC should start on it's way down by about 4ppm or so daily if you are concerned. Personally, I would enjoy the pool now.

There are a number of opinions on safe swimming FC levels and therefore not a clear cut answer.

IMHO, I feel that anything below shock level for your CYA is okay to swim; but, other people set their line higher or lower than that.

If it was my pool, I would go swimming! :lol:

Now that you have a great test kit, the TF100, you can make decisions like this one! 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.