Too much algaecide

Jun 3, 2015
findlay/ohio
I am a new pool owner and was told to add algaecide if I detected algae. I argued this because I assumed chlorine and shock would take care of the problem, but I was assured I needed the algaecide. I used it this morning with my other weekly maintenance, and now my water is mucky and almost green. I cannot empty my pool and start over, nor do I want to add a ton more chemicals. Is there something I can do between filtering, or draining a couple inches off the pool? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I am assuming that it was a pool store that told you to add the algaecide?

May I make a suggestion? Get yourself a good test kit. We recommend the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Neither are available in your local pool stores, you need to purchase online. Check here for a comparison of kits. Don't let the pool store tell you their kits are the same, they are not!

There are many good articles in Pool School that you should be reading, check the link on the top of every page here.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have learned why we preach to stay out of the pool store. Since you don't want to drain, then just keep chlorine in your pool and the algaecide will eventually go away.

Consider getting your own test kit and learning how to manage the pool yourself.

hnusbaum, the advise above is spot-on. I learned the hard way as well. The TFP experts have been helping pool owners just like you for years. You're correct about being hesitant to add anything else other than liquid bleach. Besides refraining from pool store products like algaecides, Pool Perfect, and "bags" of shock, their testing is notoriously off. The test kits we advise will pay for itself. Take a peek at the links in my sig as they will give you great insight about TFP methods. Also, take a moment to update your profile "signature" with all of your pool info. That way, next time you post (hopefully with your OWN test results) we can help you quickly and accurately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.