Hello From CA

RecTec

Jun 3, 2015
Modesto/CA
Hello from California! I am a 6 year pool owner and have experienced a lot of frustration over the last 2 swimming seasons. The first 4 years was great, no problems, following all my local pool company suggestions; however, the last two years have been miserable, algae problems left and right and never able to get it under control. I am glad to have found this website and I am hoping that using your suggestions will create better luck for me when it comes to managing my pool.

After the last algae infestation, I drained, cleaned my pool edges and have filled up my pool. I have a 20K pool, rectangular shaped with an entry depth of 4' going as deep as 9' in the center of the opposite end of pool. So far my pool levels have been up and down since refilling, I am almost to a point of being stabilized. While I know its not the preferred method, I am planning on switching over to pure bleach, once I finish off my Cal-Hypo. I have added condition as well, and some acid to manage my pH levels.

As of right now I am sitting at: FC 5, pH 7.6, TA 90, CH 100, CYA 20.

I went out and bought some more acid and borax, and am planning to add this to the pool today or tomorrow morning, and see if that will help keep it more stable and allow me to stop running my pump 24/7.

I am always open to suggestions, and hope with your help I can get back to enjoying my pool and not freaking out every time I get home from work.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I would forget the acid and borax until later. You are perfectly capable of having a crystal clear pool first and then adding borates if you like.

What kit are you testing with? What does your water look like right now? You will need some more CYA but answer those questions first.

We'll all help you get your pool sparkling and keep it algae free.

Welcome RecTec from Cal. :) Hopefully we can reassure you that the TFP methods work very well - to include the primary use of bleach. Below in my sig are some common/valuable links for you to review as you move forward to taking ownership of your pool. Questions? Just ask away! Lots of experts in TFP to assist.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I would forget the acid and borax until later. You are perfectly capable of having a crystal clear pool first and then adding borates if you like.

What kit are you testing with? What does your water look like right now? You will need some more CYA but answer those questions first.

We'll all help you get your pool sparkling and keep it algae free.

Thanks Dave!

I don't have a great kit, but already ordered the TF-100 w/Borate Strips and Magnetic Stirrer.

Right now I have a Leslies Deluxe Kit and DPD Test, using Taylor chemicals. Don't have a real way of testing CC; however, all others tested with those kits.

I followed the pool calculator and added additional CYA to raise to 40. I had already added the Borates/Acid after I got the message last night.

After 8 hours the pH is reading 8.2 and FC 3. I should get the test kit I ordered on Friday, and am excited to have more exact measurements. I added some liquid chlorine instead of my Cal Hypo to see if I get it up to 5 to maintain for now.

Right now the water looks great, clear and sparkling; however, I just re-filled the pool after draining 3 days ago. Sides are looking good, bottom of pool has some staining from the algae sitting over winter.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Not the most beautiful pool in the world, but it works! Here is a quick AM view.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Not the most beautiful pool in the world, but it works! Here is a quick AM view.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 19