So close... and yet so far away!

May 15, 2015
Ankeny, IA
I'm at the tail end of my first SLAM (I think). A week ago my pool was so cloudy that I couldn't see the bottom of the shallow end. I started the SLAM process on Wednesday (5/29). The water cleared st of the water, but I seem to have stalled out. I was dropping 10+ppm overnight. now I seem to be dropping 3-5ppm. I'm just curious if I'm missing something. I originally tested my CYA at 50 and have been using 20ppm as my goal. I had to buy a new bottle of r-0871 reagent because I ran out. I mostly need confirmation that I'm still on the right path:

Current test (before I added chlorine):

FC=15
CC=.5 (probably less, but I was doing the .5 test)
pH=7.2
CYA=40
TA=170
CH=220
SI=-0.1

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Assuming you are following slam recommendations (adding chlorine as often as possible to keep at shock level; brushing everywhere after making that FC high; vacuuming; SWG/chlorinator off; backwashing as needed; pump on 24/7; checking ladders, lights, and weirs for hidden spots; etc.) you are just fine.

Hang in there!

Last edited:
You are doing fine but get that FC back up to 20 and keep it there. If you tested CYA at 50 ppm, you can probably assume it's still 50 so keep your FC at 20.

Brush, run your filter 24/7, vacuum as often as you can, etc. You are close.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.