Newbie with a quick question.

Just purchased a home last week with a nice 30' X 15' kidney shaped pool. I have never owned a pool before and know absolutely nothing about maintenance. I have read up some on here and talking to people that at the pool shop nearby. Pool was in really good condition. Luckily, I just had to add some calcium and some hardness control and the pool was ready to go. I live in texas so using the pool at night is great. Still hot enough outside for it to not feel cold. It has a light on the pool. My problem is I have absolutely no idea how to turn it on. It is an underwater light. I don't know if they bulb is out? Is it supposed to turn on when I turn on the pump? Any advice where to look is greatly appreciated. I will continue to educate myself with the help of TFP. I plan on getting the test kit soon so I don't have to make the trip to pool shop with my little water bottle of pool water. haha

Welcome PureCo,
I'm a Texas neighbor of yours. The light switch on our pool is located near our back door, another place to look will be near the pump/filter area. It should be just a regular looking light switch.

Dave

PureCo, most lights atatch by one screw at the top of it and a 'hook' at the bottom. Removal is done by unscrewing the top screw and lifting it out, most installers leave enough cord in the niche to allow it to be pulled up to the deck. If you can get it to the deck, take the lens off, there are a # of ways the differnt manufacturers secure the lens. At this point BE CAREFUL!, you don't know if the light has power running to it!!. Check for water in the casing. If you remove the bulb, either shake it to see if it sounds like there are metal pieces 'rattling around' in it (if yes, the filiment is shot) or, preferably, run a continuity test on the bulb. You need an electrical tester to check to see if the light housing is 'powered', DO NOT RISK GETTING ELECTROCUTED IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!! IF any of what I've posted is unclear, please have a qualified person do this! But, if you know what I'm talking about, just get a new bulb (if the bulb has burnt out).

My pool light switch is near my filter and pump timer.

Once in a while after we've had a lightening storm, I've had the GFCI trip, which is also near my timer and pool light switch, which I can then simply push the reset button on the GFCI. Also, look at your breaker box to see if there is a label for a circuit for your pool light. My pool light is on a separate breaker from my pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.