TA Taylor K-2006 color change question

May 3, 2015
Savannah, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I posted previously that I'm lowering my TA so that I can add borates. My TA which was 120, now it's right around 90. This is a process.

My question is when do I stop the drops. Color goes from green to the last 3 drops are grayish purple weird color to a pinkish purple then full bright pink. I read to stop when color changes but I'm lost where to actually stop the drops. The drop right before total pink is a pinkish purple not dark but not bright but you can see a pink tone. Do I stop there or go the next drop to full pink????
It's like when it's in between let's say 80-90 it could be like 85. Idk how to explain but that's my question.
Feedback def appreciated.

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

Let's say it stays green until 5, then goes grey at 6 but goes back green, then grey to pinkish and stays grey at 7, then pale pink at 8. You add 9 and it turns Barbie pink. You add 10 and it stays the same. TA is 90.

You subtract the drop that didn't make any difference.

Hi astrong,
all those color changes are normal.

How to do it, is keep adding drops, until it goes pink, and then keep adding, until the last drop you put in makes absolutely no change in the color. Then dont count that last drop.

hope this helps,

Thanks guys. I was thinking that but I wasn't sure. I'm quite confident I'm at 90 ppm then. I was hoping for 70-80 lol but it's all good. I'll keep working at it.
Now I know that those changes are supposed to happen and "Barbie pink" is what I need to look for in color changing for the TA test.
-Amber

24 ft round 52 in deep Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method BBB, taylor K-2006 kit

:testkit:

:goodjob:
Thanks guys. I was thinking that but I wasn't sure. I'm quite confident I'm at 90 ppm then. I was hoping for 70-80 lol but it's all good. I'll keep working at it.
Now I know that those changes are supposed to happen and "Barbie pink" is what I need to look for in color changing for the TA test.
-Amber

Last night it poured down rain. Pool didn't over flow but water level went up about 1 inch.
I was pleased to see my ph go up due to the rain!!!
Here are my results.
I used 10 ml mark this morning anticipating I may need to do many tests today.
FC 3.0 10 ml mark I just added bleach AFTER this reading to raise to 5ppm
CC 0
pH 7.4 used 44 ml mark (was 7.2 before bed)
TA here's the tricky part. I tested with the 10 ml line and got 75 "Barbie pink" thought yes I've reached my goal so I compared and tested the 25 ml mark and got 90 "Barbie pink" (sigh)
CH is 60
CYA 37 is my guess not quite 40
Since I learned form your help reading color change I thought you guys could help with this.
I guess my question is due to large difference between 75-90 which version is more accurate??? 10 ml or 25 ml???
-Amber

The TA test with 25 ml of water is much more accurate.

Compare 25 ml vs 10 ml
TA is 50. 5 drops = 50, 2 drops = 50
TA is 60 6 drops = 60 3 drops = 75
TA is 70 7 drops = 70. 3 drops = 75
TA is 80 8 drops = 80 4 drops = 100
TA is 82 9 drops = 90 4 drops = 100

You can see there is a built in error, and it gets worse the smaller the sample size. I've never run my TA test with anything but 25 ml.

I see what you mean. I'll stick with the 25 ml (sad face) lol. I was hoping I could start adding borates soon. I'll keep working at the TA a bit more.

24 round 52 Evolution CLX 13,000 gal, hayward S180T sand filter & 1 hp Power-flo Matrix single spd, TFP method, taylor K-2006 kit

I didn't want to start a new thread as my question is kind of in line with this one. Got the pool up and running this year shocked it from green to clear everything is great, but when I did the test with my Taylor K2006 all of the colors were way off. I know for a fact there is chlorine in the pool, I can smell it, but I can add R0870 powder and I can never get pink. My pH test is so low I'm guessing around 5, very light yellow. And for TA, when I add the first drop of our R0007 it immediately turns bright red, not green! Is it just time for a new test kit? This is last years, but was kept in a cool dry place. Or am I just doing something wrong? Or is this something in the water that causes all of the colors to go haywire?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.