Chemistry challenges

fannd

Sep 19, 2013
My water looks clear and sparkly. I have been using bleach for 2 years, this yr pool was pretty clear on opening, got some brownish algae a few days later so I poured in the bleach each day until it was clear. I test my own water usually, but today I got the pool store to check it, the numbers are as follows:
TC 9.6
FC 6.4
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 60

Was told my chlorine is locked up, not sure I have ever heard that term before. What are your thoughts?

Chlorine lock is a myth, at least how pool stores CLAIM it happens. Insufficient chlorine for your CYA level can happen but that is remedied by a higher chlorine level or lowering CYA.

What test kit do you have? If it's one of the Recommended Test Kits please post those results instead. Pool store testing is typically not to be trusted.

Which kit did you get? I see your posts from last year with the same basic issues, and going to the Store for testing. If you have your own kit, please provide some accurate numbers and mostly importantly, trust your own test results. Mixing their numbers and our suggestions with their theories and advice is never going to get you past where you are.

chlorine lock is just a term used by the pool store because they lack the any amount of knowledge. they see that your FC is high but you have algae so they say you have chlorine lock. not true. if those numbers are accurate, which I highly doubt, the only issue you have is algae.

First off, your CYA isn't 60 and if it is, then they just got lucky. pool stores cant test CYA with any accuracy and im not sure why. the CYA from them is always wrong. if your FC and TC numbers are true, then that means you have roughly 3ppm of CC...which means you have algae issues.

first item is to get an accurate CYA reading, then move on to a SLAM

Chlorine lock is a myth, at least how pool stores CLAIM it happens. Insufficient chlorine for your CYA level can happen but that is remedied by a higher chlorine level or lowering CYA.

What test kit do you have? If it's one of the Recommended Test Kits please post those results instead. Pool store testing is typically not to be trusted.

These are my today numbers with my Taylor K2006 kit,
TC 7, PH 7.6, TA 80, CYA 40, CH 80
Water is clear today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.