Pump problem ???

Jan 19, 2012
Richland, PA
Found my hayward 1 hp powermax which had been running flawlessly not pushing water. Thought the timer must have shut it down, but I know it runs this time of day.
Put the pump back on, and nothing but a buzzing/humming sound, and not pushing water. Turned on/off several times with the same result, until upon one more attempt the pump started pushing water. After an hour or so of filtering, I noticed from the house that it stopped pushing water again. Found it in the same condition as originally, a buzz/humming sound and no water being pushed.
I am somewhat handy, but not the most mechanical----any thoughts what might be going on ?????

Most likely something blocking the impeller, a bad capacitor, or stuck switch on the end of the shaft. I'm leaning toward a blocked impeller since it stopped once it was running. The other things will prevent it from starting at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went out this morning and turned on the rocker switch--boom, pump turns on like it never had a problem. I left it run as I left for work. Came home from work, and no pump. Hit the switch on my timer and pump make humming noise as it's locked up. Several on/off atempts and no change.
I removed the pump from filter to inspect, and to see if it's jammed up with something. Nothing I can tell. Don't see anything or hear anything that may cause a jam. I was able to turn the impeller with a small screwdriver, so it's isn't physically bound up.
Anyone with more pump experience than I have.
It's a Hayward sp1592 single speed 1 HP pump.

Deweypip

To start and then shut off sounds like it's overheating and tripping the thermal overload. If it does that it shouldn't be humming, and should automatically start back up once it cools down. I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be wrong with it. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a heads up to others who might have same type of issue.
First off---bought a new pump, and swapped out for the one having issues.
After taking the pump apart, I could turn the impeller, and nothing seemed to be in there that could bind up the impeller when running. So I took it to the local motor repair shop.
Motor had a lot of dirt in it. Sounds like some of the contacts in there had been fouled up by dirt, grass??? They also replaced 2 bearings, and a shaft seal.
I suspect when I change my DE some of that dirty DE flows off the plastic mounting plate, and can get up underneath motor housing????
Kids mowing lawn may also helped out get grass up in there, if they cut and shot grass towards motor??? Mice getting in there? I never looked under the pump very close. There was a big enough opening for small critters to get into??? Who knows how, but dirt seem to be the main culprit from the sounds of things...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.