A little overwhelmed...

May 27, 2015
Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok... So I purchased the tf100 XL science lab... I mean test kit. :). I don't know where to start...is there a preferred order I should start doing the tests? Little coaching for this rookie would be great! Once I get the basic tests done... I will post those numbers and see what I need to do...

Thanks in advance!

Good news... Well, I guess I know what I have... Bad news... Not much:

TC- .5
PH- 7.2
BR- 1
FC- 1
CC- .5-1 (couldn't 100% tell)
CH- 150
TA- 60
CYA- didn't register on the dot test... Could see it all the way to the top

btw, I think my pool is closer to 16,500 gals... I have been getting mixed information...

Please help! :). What do do first?

Per the pool math, I added a 121 bottle of 8% bleach... I filled a sock full of dry cyuranic acid, put in skimmer... Added 1/3-1/2 bottle of calcium chloride ( adding in stages, since it said too)... Added about 4 lbs of baking soda...

and wait to test tomorrow I guess...

any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds ok Pete.

Just keep in mind it will take several days for CYA to register on the test, so dont waste the regent testing for it for several days.

looks like you are doing all the right things.

What is it you are getting mixed information on? I would like to help clear that up.

Per the pool math, I added a 121 bottle of 8% bleach... I filled a sock full of dry cyuranic acid, put in skimmer... Added 1/3-1/2 bottle of calcium chloride ( adding in stages, since it said too)... Added about 4 lbs of baking soda...

and wait to test tomorrow I guess...

any advice would be appreciated.

The actual size of my pool... The previous owner said he thought it was 16,500... The. The pool store that they went to said they had it logged at 20,000...I have a kidney shaped pool, so I used the calculator and at my guess, comes out to give or take 17000...

ahhh ok.
Yeah, things like Kidney and Free Forms can be difficult to measure.

Well, if you want to know for sure, there is a way of measuring it chemically. Either by the TA method or the pH method.
Its a little technmical, but it works. Ive done it a few times on my pool and on other friends.

Use a calculator and the instructions in the following post, and you can narrow it down pretty well.
If this is a bit much for you, then put it aside until a time comes when you feel more comfortable with adding stuff, using your test kit.
If nothing else, its an interesting read.
A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume

That is a cool write up... But might be a little much for me right now...I think ( and hope) that going with 17,000 gal pool math calculator, that will get me close to where I need to be... And if I am able to get it consistent great... If not, I will assume my volume isn't close enough and change from there... Hope that sounds reasonable... Somehow I feel like I am walking into a bear trap... But hey, my wife wanted a pool, right!? :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.