algae condition

Oct 20, 2008
LONG ISLAND NY
Hello
I am just about to begin fighting an algae condition in my above ground pool. the local pool store sold me "Green Out". see ingredients
ACTIVE
SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE DIHYDRATE 64%
ALKYL (95% C14 3%C12 2%C16 )DIMETHYL BENZYL AMONIUM CHLORIDE 1%
INERT INGREDIENTS 35 %
TOTAL 100 %

is this good to use or is there something else you can recomend.this is real expensive $ 8.00 for 16oz bag

also

I read the pool school article about algae but im looking for a less complicated method or a better explination of how to rid the algae from mypool.

there is no fc or cc according to my test strips ,the kit dont tell cya and my ph appears to be in the proper range for chlorine
i have above ground aprox 7000 gals (4 FT deep X 20 ft long x 12 ft wide)
cartrige filter
1 1/2hp pump

the last time i posted ,richard was very polite and helpful thank you richard. and thank you to all who replied to my previous posts!

thanks,
tom

Tom, sorry this problem persists :x

It's very hard for us to tell you a dosing method without solid numbers! Strips are unreliable and only tell you ranges of the chem values rather than hard numbers. You could take a water sample to a neighborhood pool store, BUT ... pool store test results are often VERY inaccurate :grrrr:

This leaves you in a bad place, unfortunately. Wal-Mart sells a HTH kit (drop based) for ~ $15 which is acceptable for use but not optimal - also the cl test it has won't do the job for treating algae as you need to raise the fc level and hold it - the kit only measures up to 5 ppm (it also doesn't measure cc, which, as you've read, is a key component in knowing that the algae is truly defeated). The best thing you can do to make this as easy as possible (even if it's a little time consuming or complicated) is to get a good test kit (TF kits are in my link - or you could get the Taylor 2006, both will do what you need to clear this algae.

There may a way to clear the algae without the good kit, but it becomes hit or miss - I'd rather see you do it once and do it right :goodjob: The best thing to do right now is add a couple gallons of bleach and run the pump 24/ 7 and keep the filter clean!

I am sorry to say, but the product they sold you is not helpful. It is a mixture of Dichlor, which is chlorine (that's good) and CYA (that's not good -- at least not for shocking a pool, especially if the CYA is already high) and a small amount of a "linear quat" algaecide which will tend to foam.

You should really get yourself a good test kit, such as the TF100 kit at tftestkits.com. As waste mentioned, you can get an inexpensive HTH test kit that will at least tell you your CYA level -- though better than nothing, the TF100 kit (or the Taylor K-2006 kit) is far better.

In the Pool School you can read about defeating algae and see that it's all about raising the chlorine level high enough relative to the CYA level and keeping it there. That means you should know your CYA level so that you can know how much chlorine you need to add. You would use unstabilized chlorine -- NOT Dichlor or Trichlor. If your Calcium Hardness (CH) was low, you could use Cal-Hypo; otherwise, you'd use bleach or chlorinating liquid.

You can see from this link that even a pool with tons of algae upon opening in the spring can be completely cleared in a matter of days using chlorine alone. I'm sure the helpful folks will help you through this here (and thank you for the compliment); there are many who are both knowledgeable, but also can explain things far simpler than I. My love of science (and math) tends to make me think too technically.

Richard

TAAM186 said:
I read the pool school article about algae but im looking for a less complicated method or a better explination of how to rid the algae from mypool.

thanks,
tom
Everyone would love to have some "magic in a bottle" that you could just pour in and have a crystal clear pool. Unfortunately it does not exist! Chlorine kills algae but you need to keep putting it in. Also without a GOOD test kit you are just wasting your time and money since you don't really have a clue as to what is going on in your water.
It's actually easier to keep algae from starting in the first place then to try and kill it. Once it' starts you have to just keep on top of it until it's gone.
My best suggestion to you is to read the ENTIRE pool school section of the forum then read it a second time.
If you don't understand something then ask us and we will help.
Once you do this you will have all the basic understanding you need to keep your pool clear and algae free without emptying your wallet at the pool store and you will find that it really takes only about 5 minutes a day!

One last thing, you really need to get a GOOD test kit that uses the FAS-DPD chlorine test and that tests for FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA. Strips are basically useless and cheap kits just don't perform. It will be the BEST money you ever spent on your pools and will save you a lot of cash in the long run! There is a discussion of test kits in pool school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.