Sand Filter Replacement

Mcmom

May 30, 2014
Muskogee/ok
Last year I had sand coming into my pool. I went through all the things mentioned on TFP and it was not algae but sand that settled just below the return. My filter is a doughboy Media Master Model 1900 (item # 0-1702-019) with a filter area of 2.0 Sq. Ft and a max pressure of 50psi. It holds 225lbs. of No. 20 filter sand.
I decided to empty the sand and check the under drain assembly at the bottom to make sure the teeth weren't broken thus allowing sand to enter the pool. Out of curiosity I called the Doughboy dealer who said it is around $500 to replace the whole set-up including the multiport valve, sand tank with stand and the filter parts that make up the under drain assembly. $200 to replace just the under drain filter components (doughboys version of the laterals). My current sand filter was purchased with the pool by the previous owners in 1998. (I have already replaced the pool liner, pump and plumbing since we bought the house).
1. Would it be worthwhile to go ahead and replace the whole sand filter and multiport valve?
2. Could I replace it with a Hayward or some other brand that has parts I can purchase online? (I really get tired of dealing with the doughboy store.) Would the plumbing match up ok?
3. Would you have any recommendations as to what I should choose based on previous experience?

Thanks for your help!

Mcmom

PS: I am a geeky science person and have loved all the science answers on this site! It just makes sense! Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Usually parts are pretty expensive, so getting a new filter might be the best path forward.
2. Sure, you can buy any brand you want.
3. I would actually suggest going with a 27" sand filter or larger for your size pool.

If you do go with a new filter, your best options for availability for replacement parts down the road are likely Hayward, Pentair and Intex. In general, you'll get more quality out of Hayward and Pentair than Intex for components. That being said, there are other brands that certainly make good products as well. And like jblizzle said, larger is better when going with a filter. The 27" would be a good spot for you on your pool. I have a 27" myself and wish I could have gone larger but my equipment pad size and layout wouldn't allow it without major reconfiguration. There's also the top mount style filters and the side mount style filters. Both will work equally well for filtration but top mount filters can be more difficult to repair and service unless unions are installed on all pipes going into the multiport. Otherwise, in order to remove the multiport, you have to cut PVC lines, if rigid plumbed. Top mount filters are also a bit more prone to leaks around the top o-ring that seats them to the filter housing, but when properly installed, I haven't seen a problem yet.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I ordered the Pentair Sand Dollar SD 60 complete with its valve and a stand online for what it would have cost me to replace the "guts" inside my old doughboy! It came last night and I plan to hook it up today! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.