help with 0 CYA and 0 TC

May 14, 2013
austin/texas
went to pool store to check my water and here is what I got.
FC: 0
CH: 120
CYA: 0
TA: 30
PH: 6
I read some posts that suggested shocking the pool first but no algae is showing and I also checked FC last night and it was around 2, do I need to shock first before addressing TA/PH issues?
Should I address the PH first or the TA?
Also do I use dry stabilizer to bring up CA or liquid one for faster results?

Last edited:
So post up YOUR test results and then we can figure out what needs to be done.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Antoniosp, as noted, without tests from a reliable test kit we cannot speculate on your water. That's how bad store testing is. We've all been there. Refer to the TF-100 link below if you would like us to help and for YOU to take charge of your pool. The test kit pays for itself and you'll almost never need to go to a pool store again. Also, check-out the other links below in my signature. Extremely valuable info.

- - - Updated - - -

I see you have the Taylor 2006C. Very good. Post some numbers for us!

ok so i tested with my kit and the numbers are pretty much the same, except i couldn't verify the CYA (ran out of CYA reagant and just re-ordered more) but I went to a separate store and for same reading on the CYA. so feel ok that these number are valid. having said that what should I tackle first since?

Well, we certainly would rather have YOUR CYA results from your own kit, but nonetheless, you are saying 0 FC and 0 CYA. Those need to be corrected right away to avoid algae blooms. You can use the Poolmath Calculator and Recommended Levels links in my signature to calculate how much bleach and stabilizer to add. Just enter your pool volume at the top of the calculator, then enter the "Now" and "Target" numbers based on the Recommended Levels chart. The calculator will tell you exactly what and how much to put in your pool. It's crazy hot in our TX area today, so without CYA your FC (bleach) is going to burn-off right away. Same goes for figuring out the TA and PH on the calculator. If you have questions about the calculator or how to proceed, let us know.

By my quick calculator check, I show you needing the following:
FC - 141 oz if 6% bleach
CYA - 91 oz of granule stabilizer or 235 ox or liquid stabilizer
TA - 160 oz of baking soda
PH - 150 oz of soda ash

SWG experts may have more advice, but definitely get that bleach in there right away.

What does the water look like?

Get the pH into the 7s.
Then add at least 30ppm of CYA into a sock and start it dissolving.
Then get some FC in the water using bleach.
Leave the SWG off until you get things dialed in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's good. But keep a close eye on that FC - never let it drop below 3. Without much CYA (right now), FC will disappear fast. It will take a few days for the CYA to kick-in. Here near San Antonio, I have a sock (CYA) soaking because my CYA got low and my FC was dropping quick each day, and I know it's hot in your neighborhood as well. :)

PH 8 is not good. Did Poolmath say to add 1 gallon of acid? If yes, then adjust the number of gallons you use for the calculation. If not, then use Poolmath to tell you how much to add. It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.