I need help deciding on the specifics of my deep end/shallow end (Pic in #4))

Hello, I am new to this forum. and need some advice. I am attaching a picture of our freeform pool design, but need help configuring our deep end and exactly where it should start, etc. We have a very quirky backyard and property line, so this is the final design of what we came up with after going back and forth for a few months.

I want to note that we have 3 children who are 11, 10, and 6. I want them to have a deep end to jump into, but I've talked to many people who say that as the kids get older they will hang out more in the shallow end. The area in the upper right corner of our pool on the diagram will have a waterfall and a +12 raised area so of course they will often be jumping from there. But I also wanted a bit more deep end on the lower right side of the diagram too. Our max depth is 6 ft and our shallowest right now is 3.5 ft. I want them to be able to play volley ball too, so I guess I want the best of both worlds.

Can you help me with this and give some advice? I prefer to work with the pool outline I've posted here, so I would appreciate that, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

Re: I need help deciding on the specifics of my deep end/shallow end, etc.

Welcome to the forum, Jersey Girl! Your picture didn't attach properly, so you likely won't get many replies until you do. I'm sure many on here will be happy to provide you with some opinions which might or might not help your efforts. There are so many threads on here that you can get deep into them, only to read another and have your mind completely changed.

At the end of the day, you have to take a stab at what you think will make you happiest. I suspect you will have to make some sacrifices, because it is hard to have a sport pool and a deep pool at the same time. (Unless you have lots of yard and money to work with.) We originally were going to go with 3.5'-6', but ended up going from 3'-7'+. We don't quite have water yet so I can't tell you the results, but it appears that we made the correct decision based on our wants/needs. We have a pretty long pool, so it's almost like we have 2 pools in 1... a good sized 3-4.5 and the another good deep end.

I do like the ability for kids to jump in without having to worry too much about them breaking a tail bone on a good cannonball. I also like the idea of being able to float without worrying about touching the ground or also treading water for a while for exercise. You can't do that in shallow pools.

However, volleyball is great fun if you regularly have enough company to put together a game.

Re: I need help deciding on the specifics of my deep end/shallow end, etc.

Howdy from Texas! So glad you want to share your build with us!

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about appropriate depths for a deep end. And the posts do address jumping and cannonballs. I would type in 'cannonballs' to the search bar at the top of the page. As TW said, you will get varied opinions. My take-away from the threads I read was that you would need 7 feet or greater if cannonballs will be used to drain your pool. :splash: LOL!!

Read as much as you can, weigh what people say, and then decide what is best for you guys.

You can try to attach pictures by clicking on 'Go Advanced' under the reply box. Then click on the paper clip and it does a good job of walking you through the steps to attach the photo. When you first register, you are given a limited amount of space in which to post pictures. Then you will need to use a photo thingy like photo bucket or similar. I'm still new here, so maybe one of the experts will help you out with the link to the picture posting tutorial.

And yes, we are CRAZY for photos. Lots and lots of photos! It's a great journey building a pool. Welcome and enjoy! Suz.

At only 6' deep, you can probably only get away with a diving stone/platform. You'd want it deeper for an actual diving board.

My in progress pool will have a bouncy diving board and it's 8.5' deep, wish it was deeper.

I'd deepen the shallow end to 4' and deepen the deep end to as deep as you can.
Kids love to horseplay in deep water- I had 2 18yr olds and 2 30 year old "kids" doing cannon ball competitions and chicken fights in the deep end recently. It was great fun and they're already planning the rematch.
When its deep you can swim without hitting your knuckles on the bottom. You can dive, which everyone likes to do now and then. You can float on a raft easily. I would never build a shallow pool for the little kids only as they grow and learn to swim. The smallest kids wear these floating vests and enjoy deep-for-them water too.

Like everyone else I agree deeper is better for both the shallow and deep ends. My pool is 8.5 ft deep and it is not uncommon for people doing cannonballs from the side to hit bottom.

Ike

p.s. I am a bit sensitive to the idea of spinal injuries though as I broke my back in a household accident fall (not around the pool) about 5 years ago (split compression fracture of L2)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.