upsize/downsize/missized pump vs filter

About my pool: in ground 19' round vinyl. 8500 gals. no its not a converted above ground pool.
Pump: Hayward superpump sp2605x7 3/4 HP
Filter Pac-Fab (pentair) Tagelus TA-30D (30 gpm) Sand filter
accessory: Polaris 165 pool sweep.

equipment is 10-12 feet from pool.

The pool is a older pacific pools in ground 19 foot round. est about 8500 gal. I think the pump is overpowering the filter. (silt frequent back-washing when using pool sweep)
Should I go bigger filter or smaller pump? Downsize impeller to 1/2 HP? will I still be overpowering the filter at 1/2 HP?
I figure about 45-50 GPM through a 1/2 HP pump or impeller.

If what so what size sand filter?

If I switch to cartridge, what size? with 3/4 HP or with 1/2 HP.

Thanks

Generally, we like larger filters. At 30 gpm, that filter is a little small. If you decide on a cartridge, you can literally go as big as you want......almost the same with a sand or DE but you have to have enough flow to backwash.

So, I would get roughly a 60-70 gpm sand or DE. As large as you like on the filter. You will backwash/clean less often and your water will sparkle

Will a 1/2 hp pump still be too much for the 30gpm sand filter? Looking for the most cost effective solution!

I suppose a 3-way valve between the pump and cartridge filter is the best way to lower the pool level for winterizing and removing excess rain water (areal problem this year)?

I too would upgrade the filter to a larger size. But if you want to keep that filter, then get a 2-speed motor for your existing pump or a new 2-speed pump and just run in low all the time, except for backwashing.

125 sqft minimum if you want to go with a cartridge filter and a 3-way would work well for waste.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I too would upgrade the filter to a larger size. But if you want to keep that filter, then get a 2-speed motor for your existing pump or a new 2-speed pump and just run in low all the time, except for backwashing.

125 sqft minimum if you want to go with a cartridge filter and a 3-way would work well for waste.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thanks, I've updated my sig and profile, if it shows up. Also, I'm wired for 110v, couldn't find a 2-speed 110v motor for a superpump

If you have the SP2605x7, then the B971 will work or if you have the SP2607 the B973 will work. However, they are larger diameter than your current motor so you would need to make some modifications to the motor support. Some Superpumps had a removable shim while others require a support replacement.

Or you could rewire for 230v.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.