Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New invention to keep our pools clean

1. Back To Top    #1

New invention to keep our pools clean

Pools come 2nd to Sydney's golden beaches?

21000g IG concrete pool (painted over marblesheen)
    1.5hp Waterco pump
    24"Waterco sand filter(artificial sand)
    SWCG
    Location Sydney Australia

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New invention to keep our pools clean

this is a prototype..not available yet but looks like a good idea.

jb

3. Back To Top    #3

Great idea!

Does anyone have any experience with the robotic leaf skimmers? I can't seem to find the link, but I recall seeing a "dolphin" or something that was batter or solar powered (don't remember which) that cruised around the top of the pool skimming leaves.
    Our pool- (in process)
    38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps (2), Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 cleaner with Hayward booster pump

build diary

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, no experience but there is a remote controlled "boat" that is a leaf skimmer. They are called Jet Net Leaf Remote Controlled Leaf Skimmers. I have never actually seen one but they look like fun. The reviews from several websites looked to be pretty good too. The average price seems to be around $140.00. Good luck!
    22,000gal IG, Lazy L, vinyl pool - 1.0 HP Pentair Whisterflo - DE filter - Blue Pearl Robotic cleaner - Glowbuoy - BBB only!

5. Back To Top    #5

You could try the poolskim. It attaches to the return. I have one and it works great. I have a lot of maple trees, so there is always something falling in the pool. I hardly ever had to skim. Here's the link to the website:

http://www.poolskimusa.com/
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

6. Back To Top    #6

More info on the Pool Skim from AnnaK (a member of this forum) may be found here.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

My returns are going to be in the bottom of the pool, so the poolskim device, while cool, probably wouldn't be a very good solution.

My issue will more than likely be the negative edge basin, if the leaves clear the negative edge (which I suspect they will). That will be the source of my mess. There is a dedicated vacuum line in the basin, so maybe I can find something that will work in there.
    Our pool- (in process)
    38x15 Free Form Gunite (3.5'-8'), 26' Negative Edge and 7' Negative Edge spa with blower, Midnight Blue Diamondbrite, AquaLogic PS-8 control, Goldline Salt Chlorine Generator, 1.5hp Pentair 2 speed pumps (2), Pentair DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, and BlackMaxPolaris 280 cleaner with Hayward booster pump

build diary

8. Back To Top    #8

el duderino, do you have a skimmer/skimmers in the basin? Those should get most of the leaves that fall in.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

9. Back To Top    #9

No skimmer in the basin. I'm not sure why that was decided...I will ask.
    Our pool- (in process)

build diary

10. Back To Top    #10

I have been sucked into buying a few different of these things. A skimmer/leaf canister that goes between the cleaner (suction) and the port. Looks good, sounds good, but could not get enough suction with my navigator for either to work correctly.
    A pool devil, used pressure side to force the flow through a net. Flawed also.
    A floating net thingy that goes inline with a pool return flow so the return pushes debris into the net. That actually worked the best of all of them, how ever still not that great. The strings used to attach it to the coping always allowed it move out of the flow. Trying to get it to stop moving was an effort in bricks and string placement.
    30,000 Gallons, Hayward C5030 cartridge filter, IG, Plaster, SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the PoolSkim and it works for me. I do not have leaves in my pool but I get dust, bugs, grass clippings. The top of my water when viewed at an angle was always dirty. I have two skimmers but since I use a 2sp pump on low I never get enough suction or water movement.

Then I ordered the PoolSkim. Since I do not have leaves, I removed the blue net and attached a skimmer sock in its place. It filters all the small items that plague my pool. It is not perfect, I have to swap out the skimmer sock once a week and they last maybe two-three weeks. Also, I have 5 returns and in order to get enough pressure on low pump speed I had to put the PoolSkim on the first return coming from the pump and closed off the second return. One issue I have is that my PB used slip return eyes, meaning no threads so I had to modify my return with threaded couplings and had to use underwater putty to hold it in its place. Sometimes the threaded coupling comes undone and I have to putty it again. All in all, it is still worth the small hassles.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

12. Back To Top    #12

A few years back we tried as an experiment a gizmo called a "Pool Gobbler" - billed as a very low budget pool cleaning tool - it fit into one of the returns, replacing the eyeball. You got an adapter with an elbow that attached to a 3-4' long flex hose, and a float with a large hole in it that went on the end of the hose. In the hole was the opening of a large net bag - probably a couple feet long, made out of a stretchy nylon. It came with two bags, if I'd needed replacements I probably would have tried experimenting with something like a heavy duty ladies stocking...

The basic idea was simple enough, the thing plugged into the return and floated on the surface with the return jet blowing through the hole in the float. This created a venturi action that sucked in floating leaves and pushed them into the net bag. For the under $20 price, it did a pretty decent job, but we had to take it out after installing our Polaris cleaner as the robot either thought it was tasty, or developed a romantic attachement to it... (Depends on the point of view...)

Gooserider
    Free-form Inground gunnite pool, Estimated 16-17K gallons. New Pentair TR60 ClearPro 24" sand filter and Compupool CPSC-48 SWG, Hayward SP1607X10 Pump w/ 1HP motor, 1.5" plumbing, Polaris Pressure cleaner w/ booster pump. pool is more than 25 yrs old, less than 35. Not painted, deteriorating tile surround. I am paraplegic, get in/out of pool w/ S.R. SMITH PAL portable pool lift (significantly modified)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Gooserider
    ... we had to take it out after installing our Polaris cleaner as the robot either thought it was tasty, or developed a romantic attachement to it... (Depends on the point of view...)

Gooserider
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat