new pool owner, overwhelmed

jlg

Jun 2, 2015
lagrange ohio
We had a 24x54 round AG pool installed. I have been pouring over the forum, gathering knowledge. I have been reading pool school, and trying to get handy with the calculator. I am waiting for my tf100 test kit to come in. I have ben watching videos, and it seems hard to use? Is it easy to get the hang of? I bought that one because it is so heavily recommended on this site. While waiting for my test kit to come in, I had my water tested at the store. My chlorine came back crazy high Total Chlorine was 9.0, free chlorine is at 4.8. My ph came back at 7.4, Alkalinity at 160, calcium hardness at 150. I removed the cover from the pool to burn off some chlorine, but I am leary to make any adjustments until I get (and learn how to use) my new test kit.My goal is to be BBB, but that also seems overwhelming to me.
Words of encouragement and advice?
Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave:

It is my belief that a bright ten year old can test pool water accurately, so you should have no problem. You know your colors, and you can count out loud, right? :mrgreen:

If you run into problems, there's always extended test kit directions that has alternatives for special situations.

Once you have things in your hands and start doing it, it will click. By Fourth of July your pool will probably be clearer and more sparkly that you ever imagined. You'll be excited to host the barbeque just so you can show it off.

As an aside... if TC is 9 and FC is 4.8, that means CC is 4.2, which means there's something nasty in there. Not knowing the CYA level means not knowing where FC is supposed to be. Hopefully, you haven't been forcefeeding the pool dry forms of chlorine, because you could have overloaded it with CYA. Once you get some test results, post 'em and you'll get plenty of guidance.

JKG, a few days after you receive your TF-100, you'll look back at this post and wonder why you were so nervous. It's not difficult at all, and the kit comes with some really good instructions. If all else fails and you get stuck on trying to test an item, just post it on TFP. :) Oh, and as you've heard already, unless you are going there to buy a pool toy or liquid shock (a.k.a.bleach), stay out of those pool stores. You'll see why shortly.

I agree with Richard. all the tests require is filling a tube to a line, and then counting drops till the color changes. pretty simple stuff. you might not get the relationship between the different items right away, but no worries just post all the results here and you will get great detailed instructions/suggestions. in a few weeks you will be helping others. nothing to it.

This is my first year with a pool, and I pretty much went straight to the TFP method. I was overwhelmed through the winter researching, and then around the opening of the pool. Once you start getting test results and start understanding what is related to each other and how things work (I'm obviously still learning), things will fall into place.

Thank you all so much. I am so excited to have found this forum. We recently had very heavy rains, and I accumulated an extra 2.5 inches in my pool. I had to drain some out.

- - - Updated - - -

As an aside... if TC is 9 and FC is 4.8, that means CC is 4.2, which means there's something nasty in there. Not knowing the CYA level means not knowing where FC is supposed to be. Hopefully, you haven't been forcefeeding the pool dry forms of chlorine, because you could have overloaded it with CYA. Once you get some test results, post 'em and you'll get plenty of guidance.

If you think there is something nasty in there, should I be concerned until my test kit comes?

Until it does, I removed my chlorine feeder, since the numbers were so high, and took off the cover

Got my tf100 and did my first test :)

My FC came back at 6
PH. 7.4
TA. 60
CH. 200
CYA 46
CC 0.5
I used the pool calculator and it told me to add calcium chloride, do I buy that at a superstore?
My tf100 said to test with the small blue test kit (k100) daily, and the large kit weekly
When I need to add bleach, how long until I retest?
How do my numbers sound, other than cya being borderline high?
Alkalinity threw me off because mine did not turn red. It shifted blue to yellow, and I may have a small error in that colum
Thank in advance!

Re: Got my tf100 and did my first test :)

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Without knowing your pool type, no way to make recommendations.

You can test 30+ minutes after adding chemicals.

Do not try to interpolate the CYA, just round up.

Have you read the Extended Test Instructions?

- - - Updated - - -

I merged your threads and see you have a AG pool ... you do not need to add CH for a vinyl pool.

PoolMath only tells you what to add based on the number YOU enter into the Now and Target columns ... up to you to know what you want to adjust and why.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you again. I feel a bit lost trying to navigate the calculators, reference charts and acronyms, I am sure after time it will come easier. I appreciate your patience and knowledge :)

Hi jlg,:handwave: and welcome to TFPC. I too am new, so trust me when I say, take a deep breath and relax ;) you are in great hands. What they will tell you is to get plenty of POP (pool owner patience). The tests will get easier and easier. I no longer have to have the extended tests page open when I test. (and at my senile stage of life that's something !) I might still get distracted when counting drops, but have learned to ignore the looks my wife gives me when counting out loud ! Your doing the right thing in reading all you can around here and asking questions. Soon you'll be able to read chem geeks' posts without hyperventilating. You may not understand them, but that's okay.:thumleft: Keep up the good work, you'll be SO glad you did.

Thank you again. I feel a bit lost trying to navigate the calculators, reference charts and acronyms, I am sure after time it will come easier. I appreciate your patience and knowledge :)

Welcome to the forum jlg... :handwave:

Regarding the acronyms... NTW... FWIW I was like OMG when I first started trying to understand TPFC and the FC/CYA relationship, not to mention the pH, TA, and CH. But after awhile it was like E123... LOL...

;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.