Pool Basketball Goal question

SoonerWing

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 27, 2015
Tuttle/Oklahoma
I have had my eye on the S.R. Smith Salt Friendly Basketball goal but our PB said that he has had better luck just inserting a 4” sleeve into the concrete decking and using a regular basketball goal, only using part of the pole instead of the entire thing. He said that you can get a better goal with a break away rim for half the cost. Anyone heard of this before or have any thoughts on it?

Or if you would like more stability, ability to move it and no rust (at the expense of, well, money and perhaps looks) visit our build thread in my signature for our solution.

My Uncle filled an old car tire with concrete an a partial basketball pole. He had an inexpensive plastic back board and regulation goal. The whole thing set on his deck with the goal basically even with the side of this AGP. To my knowledge it never fell into the pool, and we had many a dunk contests on it!

With the pool side I worry about it falling on someone when they dunk. Is there enough weight so that doesnt happen. Safety is my #1 concern!

Than don't let them dunk? I too have the one that was linked above and our family and friends have enjoyed it since buying it....and it's easily moved so we can put in the volleyball net as well....

With the pool side I worry about it falling on someone when they dunk. Is there enough weight so that doesnt happen. Safety is my #1 concern!

Ours is about 500 lbs when full and has a breakaway backboard setup. Tension needs to be properly adjusted for the breakaway to function correctly which is easy. Tipping it should not be an issue.
As for the no-dunking policy, my salute to those able to enforce it. I'm a lesser being. It's almost like an innate desire hard wired in males to dunk (and maybe some females but I haven't witnessed that yet).

I would love to say no dunk but with three boys do we really think no one is gonna dunk? I'm the kind of person who always thinks what if and not willing to take a chance. My question was if there was enough weight so it wouldn't be able to fall in on someone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Really a personal choice Sooner. Literally dozes of choices out there for both stationary and portable basketball hoops. I never liked the small cheesy portable models at some of the local stores, but I found a heavy-duty portable one that suits our needs (viewable below in the "My pool" link towards the end of the pics). For those that anticipate some aggressive "Final Four" matches in their pool, perhaps a regulation rig is more in order. Drilling/mounting is the nature of the beast for those as well, but can be done nicely as others have already mentioned. When you decide, maybe post a pic for us to see and others to learn? :bball:

Do you walk on water?
Mine can be 6' from the deck and if it's in 3 1/2' of water that's about right. The hoop is regulation. It's a commercial quality hoop used at at least one university per the reviews.

the rust is a good point, especially with a salt water pool like we r getting. i called SR smith and they said their rims rn't breakaway and u can't hang on them. they get anchored into the rebar. the woman said 12" back but i read the instructions on line and it says to place it 18" back from pool (water's edge i imagine). i need to decide, too, by today since they were to install coping tomorrow and have a 3" sleeve planned for them to install. i'm wondering if that's even enough room for a regular basketball hoop pole.

I could be completely wrong on this since I'm new to the pool thing:). What I was thinking of having the hole (socket??) put where I wanted it so if I decided down the road I wanted to do it I could. I would only be able to do a single pole though and would have to be happy with that for a hoop if we decided to do it. I got a great idea on this forum to do sockets for umbrellAs, so no matter what the hole would get used. Good luck!��

the rust is a good point, especially with a salt water pool like we r getting. i called SR smith and they said their rims rn't breakaway and u can't hang on them. they get anchored into the rebar. the woman said 12" back but i read the instructions on line and it says to place it 18" back from pool (water's edge i imagine). i need to decide, too, by today since they were to install coping tomorrow and have a 3" sleeve planned for them to install. i'm wondering if that's even enough room for a regular basketball hoop pole.

I think the size will depend on the goal you buy. Most of the ones that I am considering are 4" poles I believe. My concern is more along the lines of if it will damage my decking. I think that dunking is inevitable (I will probably be the first one to throw one down) but if I catch someone hanging on the rim.... With the PVC sleeve we could just pull it out and cap it when not in use. Is damaging the decking much of a concern?

went to Leslies pool supply and they actually sell a heavy duty pole that fits in a 3" sleeve and they sell a fiberglass backboard that isn't made for pools. $250. i think that's the route i'm going. pb said it'll be a deep hole and strong. the guy said the rim at Leslies breaks down if someone pulls on the rim, which I think is a plus.

and, yep, i agree, u can always use the hole for something!

went to Leslies pool supply and they actually sell a heavy duty pole that fits in a 3" sleeve and they sell a fiberglass backboard that isn't made for pools. $250. i think that's the route i'm going. pb said it'll be a deep hole and strong. the guy said the rim at Leslies breaks down if someone pulls on the rim, which I think is a plus.

and, yep, i agree, u can always use the hole for something!

I will have to stop by Leslies and take a look.

I was thinking something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NIZL7U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER (trashing the base and half the pole). When we are not using it just pull it out of the ground and put a cap on the hole. I'm guessing this is similar to Leslies solution.

do u think the pole will be easy enough to cut through? for me, we'd have to purchase a saw made for that and so then we'd prob be even on the cost but then the basketball net wouldn't be adjustable if u went this way. not sure how necessary that is unless u have kids, i guess. the pole at leslies is $55 at one store and $100 at another. big 5 had a backboard like the one u posted, i think lifetime, too, for $100 if u ask them to give it to u at a sales price. $100 plus $55 for the pole at leslies is not a bad deal. but then, do most backboards fit the pole? i'm almost thinking of just getting the whole set up at leslies cuz it's easy and should work together. i also called spaldings and they said the one for sale at leslies is made for putting on a garage or a roof and she'd need to see a pic of the poles to see if it'd work on the pole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.