Pool Motor has too much resistance

Jun 1, 2015
Austin, Texas
I just switched a motor out on a hayward super 2 pump about 2 months ago and now it is humming on start up...checked the capacitor and it is good took it all apart and found lots of resistance once i put the impeller on but when the motor is completely unattached it spins free does this mean it needs a new impeller?

Wich part of the seal do I lube (where the ceramic parts touch)? The impeller doesn't looked cracked but i cannot see under the metal part of the seal. Since i already have it apart im thinking about ust replacing the seals and impeller...I didn't think you were supposed to lube pump seals.

You are correct. You should NOT lube the ceramic interface. In fact, you are not supposed to even touch the ceramic with your finger according to the installation instructions.

Replacing the seals and impeller might be a good next step.

Also make sure your diffuser is installed correctly. The impeller should not touch the diffuser.

You can lube the rubber part so it's easier to seat, but be sure to clean the lube off before assembling the seal.

Epro's suggestion about making sure the diffuser is installed correctly is a very good idea.

You made sure to put the same sized impeller back on it didn't you?

The bad news is that once you let the smoke out of anything electrical it's time to replace it.

If the motor is only two months old, it should have some warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yea I took the old impeller in and got the same one. I haven't tried to turn it on again in fear that something else could be causing this problem it seems like its just overheating. So I guess the next step is to take the motor in to SCP and try to exchange it for a new one?

Just want to make sure I understand correctly. You are saying that the motor shaft spins freely before your screw the impeller onto the shaft, but as soon as you screw the impeller on (and before you install the diffuser), the shaft/impeller is hard to turn. Is that right?

If that's correct, the only point of added friction is at the interface between the impeller seal and the seal plate seal, and that friction should be very low. Again, suggest looking at the video and make sure the seal is installed correctly and that the impeller is not over tightened (hand tight only).

Are you sure it was the motor that smoked and not the seal?

I would take off the impeller and seal and run the motor solo to eliminate that as an issue.

I have turned the motor on without anything on it but I haven't just let it run in fear that it would definitely over heat. How long should I let it run with nothing on it? I now believe the issue with resistance is solved and it's an issue with the motor. And yes the smoke does seem like it could be the coming from the seal (don't know what that means)

A properly working unloaded motor should never overheat. So if it overheats, then there is something wrong with the motor. Also, if a motor overheats, the thermal limiter switch should turn it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.