New User Needs Advice On Using Pool Math

Jun 2, 2015
Phenix City, AL
Trying to sneak up on water balance in newly filled in ground 24,000 gallon vinyl pool. Trying out the Pool Math. Not sure what to do with the TA and PH adjustment it is giving me. Don't want to overshoot for sure. Current conditions:
FC-5
CC-0
TA-70
PH-7
CYA-45
Salt-3200
Hardness-0

So far I have added salt and 10# Sodium Bicarbonate to get me here.

I have always been told to get TA where it needs to be before you mess with PH.

It is telling me to add 169 oz of baking soda AND 63 oz of soda ash simultaneously.

My question is does the calculator take into consideration that I am adding something for TA that will affect PH and vice versa at the same time???

Should I get the TA where it needs to be completely before I try to adjust PH?

If anyone has advice or suggestions it would be appreciated!

I would leave them both alone. PH will rise with aeration. You can point the return jet up to help aerate. Your TA is fine at 70. If TA is too high it will cause your PH to rise quickly and then you will have to lower it.

You have 0.0 hardness? That is extremely unusual. What are you using to raise pH? If you enter that on the bottom of the Pool Math page, it will tell you the effect on your TA. Focus on the pH, not on TA. In most cases this is the correct action.

OK. I haven't adjusted PH at all yet. I was always told to work on TA with Sodium Bicarbonate and leave PH alone unless it didn't come in range after adjusting TA.

I also use a Taylor K2006.

- - - Updated - - -

I also checked the hardness before I added the salt.

It may not be 0 anymore.

TA is fine like the others said.
Use a little borax or soda ash / washing soda / sodium carbonate if you want to bump the pH up slightly.

CH measures calcium.
Salt adds sodium.
They will not change each others results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.