Replacement Light. Bulb only or entire fixture?

sgarofalo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 6, 2015
Mount Pleasant/Wi
Hi guys, looking to change out the light in our pool.

We have a fixture similar to this one (about $250 online for the entire fixture and lamp)

7844100_24502.jpg

watermark.axd

And I am curious, do you need to change the entire fixture and wiring out, or can you just replace the light bulb with something like this?

Feit Electric 400R/FL 400-Watt R40 120-Volt Pool/Spa Flood Reflector - Halogen Bulbs - Amazon.com

I looked at the fixture this morning and it does appear that there is a way to remove the lens to get inside the fixture but wasn't sure how "sealed" from the factory they were and if you had to replace the whole unit when the lamp goes out.

I have that exact same fixture and am in the process of fixing mine too. There is a screw at the top of the light( the gold one in this picture). Take that screw out and the whole fixture will come off of the wall. You can do it with the water in the pool. The decorative part is just a trim ring. It will stay on the pool. Well that's how mine is anyways.
I think I have to replace my entire fixture.
35b4180ce36b0283c5b41c64e1de97fa.jpg
ec9850497a73d29238ff0acd1e2c433a.jpg

Cool thanks guys,

Mine is already out of the pool laying next to the diving board. Previous owners must have taken it out when they closed the pool. I'll pull it apart tonight and inspect the rubber seal, probably buy a new one looks like they are like $8 on amazon just to be safe. New gold screw was about $6 on there too. Light bulb itself was anywhere from $20 on up.

Any real benefit to going with a LED lamp instead of the incandescent like these come? pretty close to quadruple the price other than the color changing feature?

I have a fixture that appears to be identical to the one above. I had it out because my light wasn't working, and of course, opened it up to test the bulb. Ended up it was a problem at my junction box, which I fixed. Rather than re-install the old incandescent bulb, I decided why not take a chance on an LED replacement bulb.

Took a chance on this Halco bulb:
Halco 80136 - LED - 18W - R40 - 6500K Full Spectrum

12volt model, uses just 18 watts. Replaced what was probably a 300w incandescent. I absolutely love the color. At 6550 kelvin color temperature, it's quite bluish compared to a typical incandescent. Exactly what I was hoping for, and I didn't have to spend hundreds on a new fixture.

Not at night, sorry. I've only owned the house about 10 months, and the pool light stopped working not too long after I bought it. So no pics with the old incandescent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.