Drain and refill in the summer?

Jun 2, 2015
Chandler/AZ
I have stumbled across this site after foolishly following my local pool stores instructions since moving into my home 2 years ago. I am in the Phoenix area and I get the feeling that most people here are floating Trichlor and using bagged shock at the instruction of the local pool store. I drained and refilled my pool 18 months ago and am now beginning to understand why my CYA is pushing 150+ (per local pool store reading) and why I cant' keep chlorine in my pool.

I understand that I need to get a proper kit to maintain my pool moving forward (ordered the TF-100), but what my question is should I even attempt to drain my pool and refill in the summer? I am seeing highs of 107 degrees already and I am not sure it is safe to drain and refill like I need to to get to a CYA level that will allow me to maintain my chlorine levels.

I also intend to switch to liquid chlorine for my primary chlorine source as the tabs may be convenient, but I don't enjoy draining my pool yearly.

Welcome to the forum!

Look around the forum, there are several threads dealing with a simultaneous drain and fill, which in your case would be a good idea to reduce the risk to your plaster.

Basically these methods involve either draining from the bottom and filling from the top, or using a large sheet of plastic to keep the old and new water somewhat separated.

We did a drain and fill last August when we moved in on our plaster pool. Do you know where your water table is at (depth)? That will play a factor into draining and filling.

I think in your area there you may have the reverse osmosis treatment option. That will bring down your CYA level (and CH) while only draining some of the water, far less than doing a drain/fill.

Welcome Viper. Once your TF-100 comes in (great decision by the way), post some accurate numbers of your own so your TFP friends can give you some specific guidance. Who knows, maybe your CYA isn't quite as bad as you think, but if it is, we'll get you through it. You wouldn't be the first person who fell victim to years of bad pool store advice. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.