Water on a mesh cover

waterbug

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Richmond, Va
Hi there: We got a new cover this year, one of those that allow water through - mesh cover. The first time it rained the water flowed through in a day, now several inches of water seems to stay on top. Is this right or do we still need to drain off this water? Thanks.

If it allows water through from the top, it comes up from the bottom as well. What you are looking at is essentially the surface of the pool. You'll have to either put more tension on the cover or lower the pool level, or both.

Okay thanks. It seems difficult to tighten the winch of this cover anymore to raise it up off the water. I might need to buy some cover clips to place around the top walls of the pool to raise this up off the water then. I find it confusing because the directions of this cover say to rest it right on the water---that was great until it rained and then the weight of the rain water has lowered everything...

Hi Waterbug :wave:

I haven't seen you in a while :( but hope you had a great season!

A problem with letting a mesh cover sit on the water is that any debris will accumulate on it and rot into the pool water resulting in a brown, black or green pool water in the spring :evil:

You mentioned a winch, which leads me to believe that (unlike safety covers) this one is supposed to sit on the water - you'd do well to try to keep the debris on the cover to a minimum!

Have a great winter :-D

Ted

Hi Ted- good to hear from you :wave: We did indeed have a great summer - love this BBB method...

We can keep the debris to a minimum, we use the leaf pool thingy to take the leaves off the water and when it dries up some, we can blow other stuff off - with a huff and a puff - well okay maybe with a leaf blower. Thanks for your suggestions. Take Care.

We have the micro mesh winter cover. I'm guessing your water will not freeze this winter, but are the leaves done dropping? If so you probably won't have too much debris but a hand held leaf net will help dispose of the strays.

We freeze solid and it does in fact sit ON the water surface with some of it going over the top of the cover. This is normal and even freezing that way - if left without a lot of yanking and pulling, the water will sift through in the spring when you pull it off the pool. We have NEVER had any rips, tears or shredding of our cover, never a green yucky swamp on top and only minor silt in the pool when the cover comes off. We let the ice melt completely before trying to remove AND if the trees start dropping junk before the cover can come off, we put the pool top leaf net back on for a while until that business is done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.