Corrosion in Intex Saltwater System

lpland

Jun 1, 2015
Tucson AZ
Hello - Perhaps someone can help. I have an Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, model CS8110, for a 12' X 36" Intex above ground pool that I can laze around in during the Tucson summers. It worked fine for two seasons but this year I get a low salt alarm (code 91) and I've noticed what seems to be rust or red corrosion in the housing above the titanium plates where the electrical connection for the controls plugs in. I've used the same amount of salt as always - about 50 pounds. I've twice cleaned it with vinegar and then took it as apart as possible and tried some CLR but it won't penetrate the rust and I can't reach it to try to wipe it off. Is my unit toast? If so, would an Intex CG28669 Saltwater System work with my little pool? I found a great deal on one on Amazon that I'd like to take advantage of. It's rated up to 20K gallons and my little pool is only about 2K gallons, but it is compatible with my pump. I honestly don't take regular readings of anything in the pool because it's worked so well, but today I tested the salt level and with AquaChek strips, it reads about 4500 ppm. So my basic question is how can I get rid of the rust? Or is my system beyond repair? Or will the CG28669 work with my pool? Thanks for any and all help.......LP

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.