Owner Builder North Texas

It is going...slower than I would like though. I picked the wrong sub for my tile/coping/stone/deck. It has been nearly two weeks and it is apparent that he has bitten off more than he can chew. He is juggling my job and at least one more, some of his guys have quit and for the amount of time that has passed he should be much further along. Communication has also been very poor and he is full of excuses. Once he finishes the pool - he is done. I have hired another contractor to do the deck and they are starting tonight putting up forms for the deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's looking awesome! I bet you're glad to see some major progress. It's really coming together now. Do you have your plaster scheduled yet?

I am happy to see things moving along. No plaster scheduled yet. I want to at least finish the wall. I am awaiting my cap stone. The stone shop is working on the leuders for the wall - probably a week out. I could order plaster once the wall is finished. I am giving the concrete a full 28 days to cure before installing the travertine. I may wait until that is finished...not sure yet. I would hate for crud to get in the pool when they are installing the trav. On the other hand, I would hate for the plaster crew to damage the trav. Decisions, decisions...

You're smart to give your concrete the full 28 days to cure. That's one of the perks of doing this yourself and deciding where the benefits are in waiting for certain stages.

For your other decision, I wonder what would be worse and harder to fix... Crud in the pool, or damaged travertine? From reading on this forum, it sounds like the plaster crews typically come out and get everything ready before the actual plaster day (draining water from the pool, power washing etc), but I don't know if that is how it works for an owner build. I'd probably want to deal with a cleaning issue rather than a repair issue, but that's just me. I'm sure it would go just fine either way, though.

The wall is going to look beautiful when it's done. I especially like how it is staggered, and it's even better that it's functional too, maximizing the shape of your yard. I love it!

Keep us posted as things progress. It's looking great!

Whoo-hoo! I bet it feels good to be so close to completion! The plaster looks great... Was the crew as professional as they look? What finish did you end up going with? I can't wait to see it full of water!

I'm glad it went so well for you! (I actually clicked on your photos and zoomed in to see what the logo said on their shirts :) ) The Radiant Fusion is a gorgeous product. Now I'm really eager the to see the pool full of water!

Your pool is fabulous! The raised and staggered wall is amazing. So simple, yet I've never seen that done before - love it. And the pool finish color is wonderful - great blue.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the pool filled and the deck completed. Are you? Lol!!!!

Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.