Latest bout with algae - SLAMMING!

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Have a thread going in SWG sub-forum and I thought i'd move the further updates into this section as its really about SLAM and chem at this point and most comments in that thread now is about chem and not about the SWG which turned out be fine (I think... will see when the chem is back to normal).

Here's the thread
Aquapure SWG not making chlorine. Salt test/sensor accuracy?

To make the long story short, this season I've opened to a slightly greenish pool, shocked it few times and thought I was good to go, the water was clear and beautiful in just two days, but obviously it was never fully cured as the pool been devouring chlorine ever since like crazy.

So started the SLAM today.

Pre SLAM number in the morning were
FC 0.2
CC 0.8
PH 7.2
TA 120
CH 260
CYA 65

The last update I posted in the other thread:

Added another 5 gallons, FC is at 26 as of 6pm. The good news is that CC were pretty much at zero last two times I checked. All out of 12% bleach now... will switch to 8%.

Just tested again. Good sign as the FC holding steady at 28. CC levels are negligible again at ~ 0.2. Will test again before bed and if still holding good, will do OCLT over night.

so looks like im still in the maintain stage. down to 21.5 FC overnight. CC is staying around 0.2ppm
im out of 12% bleach so switching to 8.3%, adding 1.5gl to get back up to 28ppm.
today is a perfect day for this, overcast and rain all day, temps are in the 60's, so the pool will be covered all day, letting the chlorine do its work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. The sun helps with breaking down CC too in addition to using the bleach. So it is good for the pool to breath and get some light. I know it is hard for safety reasons if you have little ones who might get in the pool.

Oh I realize that, I mean... it's plenty open on the sunny days as pool is used pretty frequently, I just don't like to keep it open at night, when I'm treating it or the weather is bad. We got quite a bit of wind today with all kinds of debris flying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morning test at 8:30 am, almost 12 hours later and only .5ppm loss, measured at 27.5ppm of FC! So by the look of it I just passed OCLT!
However, my CC went up a tad, as it pretty much zero before and now i measured it at around .8ppm. What does that mean? Do i still have an issue?

So close! To officially pass the SLAM that CC should be no more than .5. Surprised it's hanging up there. I would be inclined to continue the SLAM until you're sure that CC is back down to <.5, unless another TFP'er has another bit of advice to assist. Kudos on the effort! :goodjob:

I know right... CC was looking so good for the last 3-4 tests or so and all of a sudden its up. Well, weather is still **** today, cold and rainy, so adding another 14oz to level back up at 28. will see by tonight.

Your cover may be the reason your CC is staying above .5 or going above .5

I have read where people on here with covers have had the same issue.. I am not sure how they dealt with it...

Edit

Thats where I have seen it, hot tubs, we always have the cover on and the CC will stay high...

Your cover may be the reason your CC is staying above .5 or going above .5

I have read where people on here with covers have had the same issue.. I am not sure how they dealt with it...

Edit

Thats where I have seen it, hot tubs, we always have the cover on and the CC will stay high...

interesting... Maybe it has something to with evaporation as the cover certainly preventing from that happening to the larger degree. I'll have the pool sit open today, since there's no chance of sun today anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.