Can someone recommend an air compressor?

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
At present, I have the following:

1) House returns (4 of them) for a total run of about 65 feet
2) Yard returns (4 of them) for a total run of about 70 feet
3) Main drains (2 of them) on a single run for a length of about 50 feet
4) House skimmer for a total run of about 55 feet
5) Yard skimmer for a total run of about 65 feet

The plumbing is all 2 inches. I have a Hayward 2 HP super pump and a 350 lb. sand filter.

My wet vacuum does not have extensions and may not be powerful enough. The large air compressor I have may be too powerful, and I do not want to run the risk of damaging any equipment. I have read that 7-10 psi is sufficient to close out the lines with air.

Considering the pool companies charge around $260 to close the pool, I would like to attempt closing the pool myself. Air compressors direct could not even help me in choosing the right compressor.

Can someone please send me any information on what they purchased or are using, etc., and where I can purchase the air compressor. I am assuming that I can use a fitting directly at the pump.

I know that I can close the Multi-Port and blow out the main drains and skimmers first and then work on the returns. Also if someone could advise me on where I can purchase the round plugs for the pump housing that would be great.

Shop vacuum is all I've ever used to blow out my returns or vacuum out my skimmer. You'll need to add a tee into the return and a valve to isolate the filter outlet.
Buy a shop vac with a discharge outlet, you hook the hose to the outlet and to your tee and let it blow while installing threaded plugs. When done a bit of propylene glycol(not automotive) and you're done

I know absolutely nothing about the suitability of using an air compressor to clear out the lines. However if you go that route, don't buy another compressor, just get a regulator on your big compressor and set the desired pressure. If it were me, I'd do whatever most people do which sounds like using a shop vac.

There are two things when selecting a blower or compressor. Volume of air and discharge pressure. Most compressors are high pressure but low volume. The blowers/shop vacs move a higher volume of air at a lower pressure. I believe you want a large volume of air to blow out the lines. Since 1 psi is equal to 2.31 ft of water, a discharge pressure of ~10 psi should be plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.