New pool mom need help

Jun 1, 2015
Rustburg va
I recently purchased a baby pool for my daughter it's 900 gallons filled with well water and my current scales are
FC: 0
PH: BARELY 6.4
TA: 40
where do I go from here this is our second time filling the pool I filled it first time and took a sample to our local pool place and they told me what to do but I ended up with pee yellow water that I couldnt get rid of so drained and am now trying again

Any help is so appreciated
Thank you! !

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you are filling from a well you probably have iron in your water. Is the pool white on the inside? Do you have a pump and filter connected to your pool?

Welcome! :wave:

I'd guess there's a lot of Iron in the local water there in Rustburg.

As soon as the pH goes from acidic to neutral or basic, the Iron's going to start precipitating out. Adding chlorine also tends to bring the Iron visible.

Can you tell us more about the size of this pool, and does it have some kind of filter system? If not, check out this thread. He made an Iron filter with a pond pump and some empty jugs and pillow stuffing. Check out the pictures in posts 8 & 9.

Hey guys yes I have a pump and the pool is white on the inside. It's a pop up type that you inflate the top ring and pool pops up as you fill it. I know we need some chemicals soon/now to avoid having to refill again just unsure what to use I have all the basic chemicals on hand just don't know where to start

Hey guys yes I have a pump and the pool is white on the inside. It's a pop up type that you inflate the top ring and pool pops up as you fill it. I know we need some chemicals soon/now to avoid having to refill again just unsure what to use I have all the basic chemicals on hand just don't know where to start
Zero CYA means the target FC level is going to be 3 FC.

A 900 gallon pool will take ½ cup of plain 8.25% clorox to get there. You probably have that by the washing machine, so go add it now. It will all disappear in a few hours unless you get some stabilizer in there. For a pool that small, it hardly seems worthwhile to buy a four lb canister of cyanuric acid granules. That would be a ten year supply! One 8 oz trichlor puck will raise your CYA level to 37. So that's the route I'd suggest. Any friends or neighbors around who chlorinate with pucks? Ask for one. Do you ever see pool service trucks in the neighborhood? Ask the guy to sell you one or two. Some pool stores have them for sale individually wrapped, so the last resort is to buy one. A floating dispenser is about ten or fifteen bucks. Still less than the stabilizer granules.

Ordinarily, we discourage pucks, but your pool is so small, it's the cheapest, most convenient way to do it. Once the puck is dissolved, switch back to bleach. Half a cup a day or less is pretty easy to handle!

Now.. about pH and TA. They both need to come up because the trichlor puck will make things even worse. What are these basic chemicals you have on hand? Soda Ash/Washing Soda/pH up would be my first choice for your situation. But if you have baking soda and borax on hand already, you can use those instead. Let us know and we can help you calculate the dosages.

Ok I have alkalinity plus
Ph minus
Shock n swim
Stabilizer and conditioner
Chlorination granules
Swamp treat algicide,
and a bag of turbo shock
I also have claro and borax on hand too
Levels today are
FC 1/2
Ph 6.8
TA somewhere between 0-40
What and how much do I need to add??

Ok I have alkalinity plus
Ph minus
Shock n swim
Stabilizer and conditioner
Chlorination granules
Swamp treat algicide,
and a bag of turbo shock
I also have claro and borax on hand too
Levels today are
FC 1/2
Ph 6.8
TA somewhere between 0-40
What and how much do I need to add??
Alrighty then.

3/4 measuring cup of stabilizer tied up in a sock and hung over the edge of the pool so the return stream hits it.
1/3 cup bleach. You need to read the ingredients on the shock n swim and the turbo shock and the chlorine granules before we can tell you to use them.

Let the bleach mix 30 minutes. The stabilizer will take a few days.

Then add 1/2 cup borax predissolved in water. I hear hot water helps.

Half an hour later a heaping half cup of alkalinity plus, which is nothing but baking soda.

My levels today after it has rained for 3 days straight are
Total hardness 400
FC 0
PH 6.4-6.8
TA 80
CYA 30-50
I added abput a cup and a half of bleach abput 15 minutes ls ago what else do I need to add? I also picked some PH plus when I got some new test strips today from pool place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How much ph plus do I need to add?
Assuming that the pH Plus is Sodium Carbonate, add 1/2 cup. 4 ounces by volume. Predissolve it in a bucket of water and pour that in the pool. Don't just dump the powder in. You're off the scale, so your pH may be lower than that, but start with 1/2 cup today and recheck pH tomorrow and see where you are. Remember to let the pool run after you've added it so it mixes well. And don;t forget your pool needs bleach every day. Space the two half an hour apart.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.