Vacation Maintenance

May 18, 2013
Need some advice regarding the chemistry maintenance of the pool while on vacation. The only thing that I really have to maintain on a regular basis is the acid. I usually have to add about a cup of MA every other day to maintain a 7.6 PH. Was thinking about taking a two week vacation this summer, but wasn't sure what damage other than cloudy water and scale from a high PH would do. Below are pool specs and chemistry readings from a Taylor K2006 test kit:

New pool plaster is about 6 months new
FC - 4
CC - 0
TA - 6
Calcium - 360
PH- 7.6
CYA - 55
Salt - 3800ppm

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Before anyone can assist, we'd like to know what test kit you are using please? You're missing FC and CC which are critical items to monitor. Also, can you enter all of your pool information into your profile "signature" please? It will help everyone in assisting you a little better.

Need some advice regarding the chemistry maintenance of the pool while on vacation. The only thing that I really have to maintain on a regular basis is the acid. I usually have to add about a cup of MA every other day to maintain a 7.6 PH. Was thinking about taking a two week vacation this summer, but wasn't sure what damage other than cloudy water and scale from a high PH would do. Below are pool specs and chemistry readings from a Taylor K2006 test kit:

New pool plaster is about 6 months new
FC - 4
CC - 0
TA - 6
Calcium - 360
PH- 7.6
CYA - 55
Salt - 3800ppm

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Updated with requested information...

An SWG is ideal for vacations. You can lower the pH down to about 7.0 before you leave, although it will likely rise very quickly. Your TA test result of 6 is invalid. Is that a typo. Why do you think the pH is rising so quickly so often?

Yeah sorry the TA of 6 is six drops of the solution which translates to 60. I'm guessing the rise can be from the pool plaster still curing although we're nearly 7 months in, other than that not really sure.

Yeah the water is clear, but the PH rise has me a bot worried for a potential two week vacation. Not sure if I should have a pool guy come around for two weeks or leave it and risk the scale.

I would not risk the scale potential. Could you not get someone to stop by 1 week into your vacation and add an amount of acid you have pre-determined? You may not be as precise as possible but it should still work. The "Effects of adding chemicals" at the bottom of PoolMath should be very helpful to you.

Have you ever let the pH go for a week or two to see where it stops rising? A lot of people find that it settles about 7.8 or so. At least that'd give you an idea of where it'd be when you return.

I agree that having someone stop by and add a pint of acid mid way would be great, but even if you can't find someone, it may not get as bad as you think.

Well... I'll be the odd man out. I shut off my SWG and buy liquid chlorine.

If the PH rises as it often does if things are not properly maintained and trouble lights go on, they don't have the experience to fix it. I don't want my kids or God forbid, them "doing me a favor" and calling a "pool guy"** to come over and fix it. Giving me a nightmare of him trying to clean my SWG system with a hack saw blade or something! :eek:

I set the ph, make sure the kids can handle the ph and chlorine tests properly and know about how much chlorine to put in and when.

** NOTE: I got a pool guy through GroupOn as a gift. He swept, dipped out the leaves on the surface, threw a handful of what he said was CYA into the skimmer and then dropped the Ph and OTO test chemicals directly into the pool. Yup. Two or three drops right into the water. I was stunned!

I told him I "thanks but no thanks. I do my own maintenance." never to be seen again...

EDIT: If you don't have someone to do it, a pool guy with no SWG to complicate things is a safe bet. He can't really do serious damage. Some may be sloppy, but they generally aren't destructive and mean well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.