New to TFP method, and need a helping hand!

dozer11

Jun 2, 2014
Thompson, ND
I have almost managed to get my water cleaned up enough to swim in. I've been following the SLAM method and have had good results. I need to know...what's next? I don't have a current set of pool test results, I'll get those tonight after work, but the tests have been going good, and I need to prepare for the next step. How do I maintain the pool with bleach and not use the chlorine pucks I'm familiar with? Do I need to add some bleach every day, and them "shock" it with bleach after heave use and rain? Any help on the daily/weekly maintenance will be appreciated. Thank you, this forum has been a lifesaver!

So glad you're having success with your pool and TFP! You have passed the 3 SLAM finish criteria of <1 ppm CC, water is crystal clear and the OCLT showed 1 FC loss or less?

Once you have passed the criteria, you need to know your CYA level, which you should already know from your SLAM. On the CYA/Chlorine chart (link in my signature) you'll find a Target and Minimum FC for your specific CYA level. Always keep your FC at or above that Minimum level and each day when you dose with liquid chlorine, the Target number is what you should dose to, assuming your usage over the course of the day won't drop below the Minimum before testing/dosing again. No need to shock weekly or anything like that. Just maintain an FC at or above the minimum and keep your pH between 7.4 and 7.8.

Please post test results so we can make sure everything looks good!

Most commonly folks do testing with one of the recommended test kits frequently (at least at first) so as to learn how their own pool acts. Some pools are so even-natured and predictable that all it takes is a quart or so of bleach poured in daily, with brushing perhaps weekly (no one brushes near enough, but in an ideal world it should be at least weekly) and testing at least every other day or so. But until you've got a handle on your test results and get all the chemistry in line (using the Pool Math ap under Pool School to help you) you won't realize how simple it truly can be! Not testing enough allows you to miss the early warning signs of an algae problem or other problem.

Do you have a GOOD test kit? The TF-100 is my preferred kit (avail via link in my siggy line)

I'll post test results tonight or tomorrow morning. If I'm not there, I soon will be. The water is looking good! I have the taylor k2006 testing kit. It's been working pretty good for me, and I just ordered a couple replace reagents since I've been testing my FC levels so often lately.

The way it sounds though, is once I'm "good" on my SLAM criteria, I just manage the chlorine with bleach via pool math on a daily basis, usually only adding a couple cups...sounds easy enough! If I leave town for a long weekend, should I add extra for the time I'll be gone and unable to manage it? Also, once we pass the overnight loss test, how do I get rid of that extra FC? Just give it time?

Yep! The extra FC will get used-up over time. When going away, you can use a couple pucks to get you through until you get back. Just keep an eye on your CYA. Liquid bleach is the way to go Dozer. You'll get the hang of it after SLAM as to how much is best for your pool each day. Easy stuff. Clean, efficient, and no real side-effects. Welcome to TFP! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.