Help - how to troubleshoot my pump / motor

May 23, 2010
Arizona
TFP contributors,

I just noticed that my pump died (at least that's what I think).

How do I confirm this? I had the pool in a pretty bad condition owing to my work related travel. I shocked it yesterday evening and ran the pump all night - and got the pool looking good this morning. There were some spots - but I think I will need to brush them some more. This is beside the point.

This morning about an hour ago - my pump / motor stopped. There is no noise, the intermatic switch is in the on position. The chlorinator is reporting no flow. I turned off and on and all I could hear is the chlorinator making a clicking noise - but the pump is not functioning.

Any thing I can check before making the decision to replace the motor? I checked the circuit breaker to see if the circuit was tripped - but it did not.

Ram

Just grasping for straws here ... I don't supposed your particular model has its own "trip switch" does it? Mine does not, but I don't know your model number. Actually, that's something you might want to list for everyone else reviewing ... your pump model number.

My first guess, since you're in Arizona and it was running all night is a thermal overload tripped. And lo and behold, the manual says

NOTE - Your Hayward pump motor is equipped with an “automatic thermal overload protector.” The motor will automatically shut off if power supply drops before heat damage can build up causing windings to burn out. The “thermal overload protector” will allow the motor to automatically restart once the motor has cooled. It will continue to cut On/Off until the problem is corrected. Be sure to correct cause of overheating​

If you use a circuit breaker to turn the pump on and you hear nothing - no hum nothing at all, you need to check for voltage at the motor first, requires a meter or voltage pen.
If you have a hum possibly a bad start capacitor or seized bearings, the later is not worth attempting replacement unless your motor/pump is out of the elements.

My first guess, since you're in Arizona and it was running all night is a thermal overload tripped. And lo and behold, the manual says

NOTE - Your Hayward pump motor is equipped with an “automatic thermal overload protector.” The motor will automatically shut off if power supply drops before heat damage can build up causing windings to burn out. The “thermal overload protector” will allow the motor to automatically restart once the motor has cooled. It will continue to cut On/Off until the problem is corrected. Be sure to correct cause of overheating​

Richard, yes this seems to be the case. I was able to turn on the pump last night. I have always had it running during the day time, I think I have to switch to night time so that the pump does not get over heated. We have had some high temps recently. It is only going to get worse. May be I should start working on getting a replacement pump - possibly a variable speed one.

Thanks to all - this is a great forum and I have had help here off and on. Appreciate the time and effort by the contributors.

Ram

Richard, yes this seems to be the case. I was able to turn on the pump last night. I have always had it running during the day time, I think I have to switch to night time so that the pump does not get over heated. We have had some high temps recently. It is only going to get worse. May be I should start working on getting a replacement pump - possibly a variable speed one.

Thanks to all - this is a great forum and I have had help here off and on. Appreciate the time and effort by the contributors.

Ram
Any way to rig up a small shade over the pump? A sawhorse with a white garbage bag over it would deflect a lot of the solar load. Just don't restrict the air flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.