Hayward DE-6000 Clamp Assembly

Jul 16, 2014
Westport, CT
Hi all. First time opening the pool myself, and am having difficulty putting the clamp assembly back on to my DE filter.
I have a Hayward DE-6000 unit. The O-ring looks just fine, I have it lubricated, but the top half of the DE filter cover doesn't sit completely flush when the o-ring is in place.

It's kind of lopsided, so that I can get one side down, but this causes the other side of the cover to be raised a little bit.
As such, when I attempt to connect the clamp assembly, I can't even get it to close enough so that I can start to replace the brass nut. I've read the posts about tapping it with a rubber mallet, etc, but nothing seems to help. The side of the cover that is sitting over the o-ring is just fine, but the other side can't be tamped down.

The "pool guy" who opened my pool last season replaced the O-ring so I assume its the correct part. It's pretty thick, but i'm not sure if this is normal course.
Should the DE filter cover just sit easily on top of the O-ring or is my situation not unique, and the hard part is indeed, trying to get the clamp back on despite the lopsided cover.

Thank you all.
Looking forward to my first soup-to-nuts year of the BBB method.

I have that same problem.

Fortunately, as a mechanic, I have a large assortment of pliers to choose from. Get a helper and two sets of channel locks or some big vise grips. Get one side started and clamp it with pliers, then go opposite and put some squeeze on it. It doesn't have to bottom out, just fit over the lower half. Then you put the clamp on. Since it's tapered, tightening it will force the two halves together. I have some comically large channel locks that I use to cinch the ends together enough to get the spring and nut on. If you don't, have your helper hold them together while you go around tapping the clamp with a rubber mallet. Once you can start the nut, it should go easier. Tighten the nut a bit, then tap the clamp with the mallet all the way around. Tighten some more. Just keep going until the nut runs out of threads. I usuaully run it a few minutes to leak check it and then shut it off and doublecheck the clamp nut.

Thanks Richard. Followed your instructions and was able to get it on... Just need to get my pump reconnected now... Of course there's another issue.
Seems like the pump grew about 1.5 inches longer since last year!

Here's the one from last year with everything fitted nicely.

Upon reattaching this year, seems like the connection to the DE filter is about 1.5 inches short.

I wondered if this is usual and I'm supposed to replumb everything every year because PVC expands or something... Else,.. do I just force the thing to bend over 1.5" without snapping.
Everything else is the same and unmoved from its location last year.... I'm at a loss on why the equipment has moved even a little bit...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.