Baquacil to Chlorine Conversion - Questions

Jun 1, 2015
Dayton/VA
Hello Everyone,

Totally new here but I am tired of using Baquacil or I have a knock off called "Pool Elegance". Ready to move to chlorine. We have a 24,000 gallon in ground and wanted to make sure I follow the same process. I am waiting until my current test kits shows I have 0 biguanide and then I am going to start the process. Just a little nervous since we are at the beginning of the swimming season and just didn't was to loose too much time swimming my kids would hurt me. Just tired of hearing the "add more shock" to clear everything up. We have had the pool for 4 seasons. Year 1 great no issues at all, year 2 started getting mold, year 3 things were bad, and this year I just can't get the pool clear. Ready to take over my pool and not have to worry with everything. I know it can be work but just doesn't need to be this much work.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Jeff

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately your experiences seem pretty typical of the baqua crowd. Leebo, an admin here, is a great source of experience on this subject so hopefully he will chime in.

We have a great process to make for a speedy switch, it can be found here: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Do you have one of the recommended test kits ordered? The TF-100 with the XL option (link in my sig) is the best choice for a baqua conversion as you will be adding a lot of chlorine and testing often. We also love to see pictures of these conversions, the colors are so pretty!

If you choose to follow the methods taught here you will find that after the initial work of the conversion your pool care will in fact be quite easy. Similar to brushing your teeth, a little work daily will prevent a lot of hassle later. I hope you will read through some of the pool school (link also in my sig) and get a feel for what the site and TFPC is all about. Good luck with your conversion!

You are going to LOVE the TFP way! It will save you SO much money and time!

You will not believe how clear your water will be!

You will be able to tell if a quarter is heads or tails in the deep end!

Kim

You will be SO glad you made the switch! I had a Baquacil pool for 15 years and just finished converting it to chlorine this past weekend. Everyone on TFP was SO helpful with encouragement and with answering any questions I had. It got rather discouraging in the middle of the conversion process, but my pool now looks prettier, clearer, and more sparkly than it ever has since it was new 15 years ago, and I'm kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. You won't regret it!

P.S. Stock up on LOTS of bleach or liquid chlorine - you'll go through an amazingly large quantity of it!

Welcome to TFP!

Just as a quick warning, you may want to bump up your schedule if you want it done by the 4th. Baqua conversions can be wildly unpredictable on how long it takes so you'll want to leave some extra room just in case. The sooner you can order your test kit (get refills too.......you'll use ALOT of reagent) and the sooner you can start the better.

I'm still looking for info concerning "Pool Elegance" and the MSDS. It sounds just like Baquacil, but I want to find the MSDS before giving you the definite "thumbs up."

Attached are the pictures of the product. If you need anything else let me know.
attachment.php
attachment.php

I went through over 100 bottles of bleach, and my conversion took 3 weeks from start to finish. I think I used more bleach than most conversions do, though. Not sure why, but maybe because my pool had been on Baquacil for a LONG time (15 years). It was really discouraging by the second week when it still looked like a murky, brown cesspool, was a bottomless pit swallowing endless bottles of bleach, and there seemed to be no end in sight, but it was worth it in the long run, because it looks beautiful and sparkly now. Don't get discouraged and give up!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking forward to seeing how yucky it gets! I think it is a good idea to go ahead and start it. I hope it does not take long but you never know. Better do it now and not need the whole time than............not be done in time for the party!

Kim

New numbers for the day 80 hours in....

FC - 13
CC - 8
TC - 21
PH - 7.4

Pool is clearing up will post pictures here in just a little have to put them on other site. Added liquid bleach this morning to get me back to FC of 15. Hope by Sunday we might be over the top.

Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.