New Pump Help Please

Jun 1, 2015
Pittsburgh
Hello,

I have a Pentair Optiflo 347986 1.5 HP single speed that I need to replace. I have read that a 2 speed (less HP) would be better and more energy efficient than the single speed 1.5 HP I currently have for my 24 ft 52" round above ground.

I see the Optiflo 347990 1 HP 2 speed on Amazon and thought it might be a good replacement. My question is - do I need to consider my filter (cartridge / DE) system also in making this selection? For example, is it possible that my filter requires a constant 1.5 HP to filter properly or will it run fine while using the lower speed on the 1 HP replacement?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

george

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Filtration actually works better at lower flow rates. For a sand or DE filter, you need a decent flow for backwashing, but the 1HP on high will be fine.

One note, you may be able to just replace the motor on your existing pump with a 2-speed version for less money ... assuming that the motor is the problem.

The OptiFlo is a good efficient pump. The 1.5 HP is actually about the same size as my 1/2 HP IG pump so you can't really judge a pump by it's label HP. You could just replace the current motor with a two speed motor.

The problem is actually my bearings....the pump is only 5 years old and I had to have the bearings replaced last year for $90. Worked fine for the summer and when I plugged it in yesterday - bearings shot again....The pool placed that replaced them blamed it on cheap foreign made bearings in the pumps these days...I have no idea whether that's true or not. That's why I'm considering replacing it with something that will work as good but use less electricity...This article is the one I read.

http://swimming.about.com/od/poolandspamaintenance/a/pool_pump_size.htm

All I know is they replaced the bearings....are you suggesting that I repair this myself by ordering certain parts? I wouldn't even know where to get a two speed motor for this model and shaft seal...what about the bad bearings?

The bearings are in the motor ... get a new 2-speed motor and slap it on with a new shaft seal :D

I am pretty bad at finding the correct motors, but Mark can probably quickly tell you what would be a comparable replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no opinion on sites but as I pointed out in a previous post, the cost of a replacement two speed motor and seal would be close to a new pump:

The bearings are in the motor so when you replace the motor, you are getting new bearings. It isn't too difficult to replace if you are handy. However, given a new pump is only a little more than a new motor and seal, you might be better off going with a new pump:

Amazon.com : Pentair 340071 OptiFlo Horizontal Discharge Two Speed Motor Aboveground Pool Pump, 1 HP : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

So why not get a brand new pump?

So are you thinking of a single speed now? Because a two speed motor is more than a single speed:

Waterway Motor, Thrubolt, 56fr, 2 Hp 230v, 2sp (b233, B2233, 372082113) - INYOPools.com

With a seal kit, it will be about the same as a new two speed pump. It is up to you of course but you will make back the $100 difference (over a single speed motor) in less than 12 months of operation with the two speed and then save more than the single speed after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.