New Pool Needs Upgraded Automation Already?

Sep 2, 2008
I have a brand new pool that was just given to us last week. Included was a PDA-PS8 Combo remote control to turn on / off our equipment and set the programs. The problem is that it doesn't work from ****. It only recognizes some of the buttons I press (ie: if I press "down" to go down the menu, it only recognizes I pressed a button maybe half the time. At that, half of the commands it does take don't actually refresh the screen so it's really hit or miss as to whether or not it's doing anything).

I called Zodiac to ask about this... my pool builder seems to think its working correctly but I paid something like $1500 to be able to control the system from this remote. Its embarrassing to sit outside with friends and try to turn the pool, waterfall and 3 lights on because I can't get it to complete in less than 10 or 15 mins.

They told me I can upgrade the unit on the side of the house with a R0466801 chip and the IQ20-A antenna which will allow me to use my iPhone instead of the remote (the remote can still perform all On/Off functions but nothing else). Looks like that would cost me about $600 in parts, void the warranty if I install them myself but would actually work. Anyone done this and know that this info is correct?

What to do?

Well, my solution is not likely what you are looking for ... I simply stand up and walk over the equipment and push the buttons or turn the valves that change what I want :mrgreen:

I just do not see the need to control my pool with my phone ... just like I do not see the need for my hot water heater to have Bluetooth ... and I am not as old as you might think based on those statements :D

It certainly does not sound like you system is working like it is supposed to and would suggest you keep talking to your builder and Zodiac.

Well, surprisingly it might be as easy to fix the PDA as just changing the channel, which they are coming out today to do.
And more surprisingly, they have a huge discount on the parts to do the upgrade. If I want, they will even perform the equipment swap for free. So I stressed for nothing, maybe.

Well, my solution is not likely what you are looking for ... I simply stand up and walk over the equipment and push the buttons or turn the valves that change what I want :mrgreen:

I just do not see the need to control my pool with my phone ... just like I do not see the need for my hot water heater to have Bluetooth ... and I am not as old as you might think based on those statements :D

It certainly does not sound like you system is working like it is supposed to and would suggest you keep talking to your builder and Zodiac.

lol jblizzle! And, true story. I will have my equipment hooked up to my phone. I am not quite to that stage yet, but can fill you in when I get there. There isn't much to that installation. Or, I'd try and make your PB do it. I'd give him **** for not offering the phone option instead of the remote (just another thing to break or lose!) He might not come, but you might not have to refer anyone to him either. Unless you live way out of the way, he should come and help you out.

BTW, I'm not sure why that would void the warranty? The mfg warranty of PB warranty?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.