algae problem or pool chemistry problem?

Elrock

Jun 1, 2015
Suffolk, VA
I've been battling low chlorine levels and thought my salt cell wasn't working but my PoolPilot says it is. Started seeing green/black spots on vinyl liner so manually brushed, shocked with granules calcium hypo. and vacuumed pool. Water looks clear but after shocking I see clumps floating on surface of water. Went through this routine a couple of times. Pool store says I have mustard algae so treated with yellow out and 4 lbs shock as directed. I keep seeing more dead stuff at bottom of pool but a few green/black spots still persisting. Now pool store tested for phosphates and said reading is over 1000. They sold me Phosfree but the instructions they gave me didn't match the label. Before I do anything else I figured I should ask you guys. I think my alkalinity is low for one thing and am worried about stabilizer levels. Also from previous posts think my chlorine still need to go higher. I have 27000 gal salt water vinyl lined pool.
FC. 9.61
TC. 9.61
CC. 0
pH. 7.6
TA. 58
CA. 26
Ca hardness. 203

If you have visible algae, you need to SLAM your pool. What test kit did you use to obtain those results?

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School and then follow up with "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School as well.

Elrock, you sound like you're in the same position many of us were in before TFP - relying on the pool store. Simply put, they don't give the best advice. You cannot rely on their testing either. If you are considering following the TFP method to maintain your pool (which does work), you must do your OWN testing using one of the recommended kits (see the TF-1010 link below). Also take a moment to read the other links below. By following TFP, YOU do the testing (quite easy) and use minimal products (i.e. regular bleach) to keep your water crystal clear. You'll spend less $$ buying those "miracle products" and bags of shock at the pool store as well.

Thanks for your quick reply. The results came from the pool store. So you're recommending following through with SLAMming and then deal with the other numbers? I'm new to this forum and the whole TFP system so am a little slow to catch on.

1) stop adding anything the pool store sold you
2) order a recommended test kit
3) receive kit, do tests, post numbers here

eventually, 4) get pH in line, add enough liquid chlorine to get to proper shock level, and keep adding to maintain that level. You will have a few days to read the ABCs and SLAM links while your kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.