Good News - Got my rails out = Bad News - SWG cell stuck

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
OK, you guys, good news is that this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/arrrgggh-grunnnt-i-can-t-get-my-rails-or-ladder-out-t9941.html helped me; I tapped the bolts down and put water in the cups and wiggled and wiggled and wiggled and the rails and ladder finally came out - THANKS!
So now, I got ready to finish closing my pool, and I wanted to put the "Dummy" or "Spacer" cell in (take the SWG cell out of the line and put in a single 'pass-through' section of pipe, that costs an obscene amount of money but gives you peace of mind).
SO, I tried and tried and tried, but I could only get one fitting loose on the SWG cell; the black fitting on the other side would not budge.
2993219233_e5d8ece2ae.jpg

I could get one fitting off (hence the water on the concrete), but I did everything I could to twist the other one off (the black arrow shows the fitting; I was turning lefty-loosey and I even put the 2x4 and hammer to it, as shown in the bottom of the photo, but no dice)...
So what do I do? Is there something else I can do to loosen the recalcitrant fitting?
thanks!

Thanks waterbear and derekm, I appreciate it!
I found a strap wrench at my local Lowe's, and I'll give it a shot probably next weekend...daylight just got alot shorter so I probably won't get to it this week. But this looks like it should do the trick (not to mention, it should let me loosen the tops on any peanut butter jars that refuse to cooperate with me! ha!)

The union on an intellichlor has little tabs on it. With the 2x4 resting on one of those tabs on the appropriate side you can give it a tap in the right direction to get it moving. I don't usually use a 2x4, but I use this general method all the time on hot tubs since there's isn't always room to rotate the handle of my channel locks or a strap wrench.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.