Fitting to make drop-in pump replacement from Hayvard Ecostar to Pentair VS - needed?

iom

May 30, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I have Hayward Ecostar, and as many other Ecostar's its electronics failed in less than 3 years. This means I and the nevironment will not be saving anything on electricity.
Of course Hayward does not stand behind its product to any degree. I cannot repeat the error. I must buy something else. But: Ecostar pump connectors are male threaded matching the "nut with pipe" slip fitting 2" installation. VS Intelli... has female threaded 2" hole.
I would like to limit the number of cuts and reworks.
Does coupling exist that would on one end have 2" male thread that would fit into Pentair and the other side of it would fit the "nut" end from the Hayward coupling?

Thanks for all suggestions. I would like t know what is the reliable variable speed pump that you guys recommend based on your experience.

I don't think so since the Hayward unions are a proprietary thread I think.
I think the Pentairs can also be installed with unions, although again proprietary and not likely the same.

Additionally, the alignment is not going to be the same between the Ecostar and Intelliflo, so you are going to have to do plumbing.

Where are you located? Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

One option would be to just put a 2-speed motor on your existing pump ... avoids the electronics, avoids having to do plumbing, keeps you with a majority of the power savings.

Thank you for the suggestion to go with 2-speed pump. But which one would be good for drop-in no plumbing R&R?
Or even with plumbing - which one would be a good choice. I have about 23 k gal. pool without fancy stuff. Just need basic one speed to run skimmer + 2" vac line on one speed and than drop down to filtration speed.

I think the Tristar would line up and use the same pluming fittings (whether you get the VS or not).

Or for just a motor, look for a 2-speed that would fit a Tristar. I am not exactly sure what impeller is in an Ecostar, so if you got a smaller motor, you may need a smaller impeller too.

Also if you want the speeds to automatically change you would need to add a timer (like the Intermatic T106 to switch speeds ... and a T104 to turn it on and off). Assuming you do not have automation ... you did not fill out your signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.