Size of cell

Jun 1, 2015
Toms River NJ
Hi,

New to the forum but it came highly recommended.

I built a SW pool in the previous house and had no issues with it. The system was the Hayward Mineral Springs system which I assume is just a re-labeled aqua-rite or swimpure and had zero issues with it.

In my current house I have a 36,000 gallon chlorine pool and I want to convert to SW.

I spoke to a couple of local pool shops and they recommended the Pentair IC60 (60,000 gallon) cell but I haven't read many (if any) good reviews about the Pentair SWG's and honestly not exactly thrilled with the quality or reliability of my local shops.

I called Hayward and they said their 40,000 cell should work but if it doesn't just add a second cell and power supply. Not a desirable configuration not to mention expensive.

Is anyone running the pentair IC60 and are you happy with it? Being in the North-East with a short season and no extreme temperatures during the summer could the Hayward 40k cell work?

Thanks in advance
Steve

I use a Hayward T-15 40,000 gallon on a 45,000 gallon pool and currently running it at 25%. It's a new cell that I just bought so it is performing pretty good. Checked the chlorine this morning and was happy with the results since we had about 5 people in the pool yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours. May have to bump it up in July and August though. Bought the house in 2013 and the pool was built in 2009-2010. The original T cell lasted until the beginning of this summer but had problems with it last summer and had to run it at 75%. This site recommends over sizing the cell for your pool at least 1.5 times. Not familiar with Pentair but if you are familiar with Hayward then it could work for your size pool. I guess it comes down to price and bang for the buck. If I was installing a new one I would definitely consider over-sizing it. I don't know why Hayward doesn't make a larger one for residential. They could definitely sell them.

I think both of you should have a 60k cell ... Pentair and Circupool and AutoPilot make them along with others.

I would have to think Ned is going to have to raise the output a good bit as that just seems too small. Are you running it 24/7?

My T-15 runs for 9 hours/day at 25-30% on an 11K gal pool. I think it could barely run a 36K gal pool as long as the chemistry stays perfect. You're also going to go through the cell fairly quickly.

I run it 8 hours from 12 to 8 at night or longer if people are in the pool late but usually just 8 hours. Alkalinity is 90 and PH is 7.5 currently. CYA is 50. We moved in here the end of August 2013. I didn't know what I was doing then or all last summer but somehow it kept working and I was using strips to test and taking samples to the pool store. I watched a lot of internet videos. Mrdvdgb1 is a pretty good way to watch how to do things on You Tube. I had never had a pool so it was a huge learning experience for me. He talks about BBB and endorses it. Over the winter I did some more research and found this website which I have learned some very valuable things from. I am now able to keep my PH from going sky high because I have learned to keep the Alkalinity low. Also figured out how CYA works and what the right amount should be. I'll let you know how the 25% goes. There is one thing I have found out and that is that things can change and you have to stay on top of it. I've also learned, as I said before, that I would have installed a larger SWG if I was the one who owned the house when it was put in. Whatever extra expense there would be would have to be worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.