Losing water through waste pipe

smgtx

Jun 1, 2015
Houston TX
A few months ago, we were losing water to the waste pipe when then pump was switched on. We changed the spider gasket and that fixed the problem. Our pool has an overflow pipe and after the heavy rain we've experienced in Houston, the overflow pipe was not flowing. I flicked the pump valve (Pentair model SM-20-2) from "filter" to "waste", in hopes of clearing the pipes. When I flicked it back to "filter", water continued to pour out of the waste pipe. I turned the pump off, but water continues to pour out, just more slowly than when the pump was on. This has been going on for more than two hours so it's not looking like it's going to stop, and I can't understand why it's occurring when the pump is off (when we had the spider gasket problem, there was no water loss when the pump was off). Please help!

Welcome to TFP!

When you say you "flicked the pump valve from "filter" to "waste"", did you turn the pump off while moving the handle?

When you switch from filter to waste do you turn off the pump or leave it running? That may be what's messing with your gaskets.

My guess is the filter is at a lower elevation than the pool so with your waste valve stuck open you are draining the pool. You might close any return line valves to stop it for now until you can get the gasket fixed.

Oh, I did not turn the pump off when I switched from filter to waste. Would I have damaged the gasket? The pump is now off but the water is still pouring out through the drain

- - - Updated - - -

The filter is at a higher elevation than the pool.

Oh, I did not turn the pump off when I switched from filter to waste. Would I have damaged the gasket? The pump is now off but the water is still pouring out through the drain

You may have dislodged the gasket. Only way to tell is to open it up. If your pump is higher than the pool, you can open the pump basket lid and break the siphon that is allowing water to flow out the waste line.

I also thought opening the pump basket lid might break the siphon, but it did not. Thank you for your patience, I am clearly an idiot for turning the valve when the pump was on. Am trying to open up the valve now.

Last edited:
I opened up the valve and the gasket was indeed dislodged. As I was screwing the top back on, I finally noticed the instruction on the handle "Shut off pump before operating valve"...

"Smarter today than you were yesterday." is what I tell myself when I have those learning experiences. :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.