Disconnecting Automatic Chlorinator

May 29, 2015
Mississauga
So I have a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator which I want to disconnect. It is currently plumbed into my one of my main pipes (PVC). How can I disconnect it and plug up the hole? Is there another method? I want to use liquid chlorine only and I want to stop with the chlorinator. Currently I have it off but I am not sure if that is enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggygal, I also have a Hayward in-line chlorinator that I no longer use since I follow TFP. :) I simply leave the chlorinator empty. It doesn't hurt anything, and I don't really see a need for you to cut into your lines just to remove it. If anything, you may use it on a VERY rare occasion .. for example, you know your CYA is at its low range and you go out of tow for a while. You cold drop a puck or two in there and know you are getting some chlorination until you get back. But really, there's no need to remove it. Leave it as a reminder of how much money you are saving by not filling it up. :D

All of this is assuming when you say "automatic" chlorinator, it is the same as an "in-line" chlorinator. Not sure if there's a difference. :?

- - - Updated - - -

If you click on the "My Pool" link in my signature, you'll see my in-line chlorinator. If we have the same thing, then yes, you can just leave it empty. If you have something different than mine, post back and we'll re-address your issue more specifically.

Hi,

I have a picture of my chlorinator.
attachment.php

You can see it next to my pump on the floor. It is connected to the pvc pipe going into the pump with small tubing. Again, is it enough to shut it off and keep it empty?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• photo2_zps845885fd.jpg
    photo2_zps845885fd.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 175
Oh, that IS different than mine. I can't see the need to go out of your way to remove it, but honestly I'd feel better if someone else would chime-in who perhaps has owned on of their own. Yet something else I can learn from today as well. :)

Just leave it there and turn it off. From the photos it has a small tube feeding it from just after the pump and then injects the chlorinated water somewhere down the line I can't see.

Remember, TFP isn't "against" pucks. You just need to understand what they add and control it. I am a prime example. I started last year with CYA 200+. I have now worked it down to 40, but I want it at 50. I'm holding off for a few weeks until I go out of town and I'm going to supplement my Stenner Pump with pucks to bring the CYA back to the 50 I want.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.