In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After we get pool level on patio blocks and we get walls up then sand is dumped. Does that sand that is inside the pool need to be level or just smoothed and raked out? We are using about 2.5 inches of sand on our pool floor so it's very hilly. Hubby and my dad think we need it to be level the sand but I thought it just needed to be smoothed and tamped and also do the 7" cove all the way around.

Level would be better. At that point it isn't too difficult to screed the sand level with the tops of the blocks.

We are using a straight board with level taped to it to level the sand. The pools just so big so it takes forever! how about the coved side do we just tamp them.

We are making such slow process but we are all so exhausted. Just the leveling of the sand will take another day. Is this normal or are we missing something. Level the uprights, and blocks and trying to get square took us 2 days....with a ton of help. I feel like I'm in the twighlight zone!

Yes, it is a LOT of work to level a site for a pool. But, good prep of the site will mean the pool will be safe and stay up for years to come.

I have never installed coved sides and am not familiar with the installation technique.

Get a long straight board, or even a length of galvanized pipe - something that won't sag- and go from block to block every which way until it's smooth. Then tamp or roll it and repeat until it's firm and smooth and level. Get creative! Use a full propane tank on it's side as a roller!

It is maddening backbreaking work. Tough on the knees, too. But what you end up with is the floor of your pool. That liner is thin. It's like paint. It won't hide any imperfections. All it will do is change the color of them. You don't want to be sitting there sipping a cold one on Fourth of July admiring your crystal clear water and kicking yourself for shortcutting on the surface prep.

Richard is correct but you have another pressing issue before you take care of the floor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.