Skunk family- help get them to move away from pool

amjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
Rural NE Texas
We have new additions- a skunk family- mother and twin babies moved into the yard. They are living under a 10ft mower deck next to my husband's shop, we think. That is about 100 feet from the pool. The mower deck is not going anywhere anytime soon- solid steel and the wheels are shot.
We have two outdoor cats as well, who live in the shop. They and the skunks just ignore each other. They overlap each other- cats out during day and get put up at dusk. Skunks come out at dusk and are gone by morning. Sometimes they are within 10 feet of each other and neither seems to notice.
One of the skunk babies is really bold. We don't feed them and are trying to encourage them to move on, but not having much success. They seem to like the area. The bold baby we have been calling Pepe. We are not trying to tame him, but he will follow us around when we are out in the evening. He thinks his name is "Here, Kitty, Kitty".
We don't see much of the mother and other baby. They are much more wild and will warn us with their tails if we get too close- we try not to, but they are hard to see in the dark until you are right up on them. And they are black and white- my husband has mistaken them for our black and white cats after dark more than once.
They don't stink though. I guess they have to choose to spray to really smell bad? We have only smelled them once since they showed up three weeks ago, and we think it was because the septic system came on while Pepe was too close and scared him (her?). He likes to hang out by the big sprinkler that disperses the water periodically, and comes on unpredictably. He also likes the pool area, though has not tried to get in and take a dip yet. We took the ladder off both sides to keep him from climbing into the above ground pool. But he likes to mess around near it.
We live on 2 acres, surrounded by (literally) hundreds of acres of pasture. One pasture on one side of our yard gets mowed occasionally, the rest is wild. Our yard is partially wooded. The skunks are living on a corner that is very wild and brushy. The only neighbor anywhere nearby is a house about 300 yards away across another 2 acres that is unmaintained.
Any thoughts on how to move our friends on out into the pastures without hurting them? We usually don't mind shooting any critters that become a problem, but these guys are not a problem yet- just a potential problem. They eat bugs and other creepy crawlies, so that is good. We usually let those kinds of creatures be. And, shooting a skunk has its own drawbacks.
We don't leave out trash, cat food, or anything like that. Armadillos ravaged the yard this summer, so it seems like any critters in the dirt would be gone from them. The skunks dig around like they are looking for grubs, though they do not do anywhere near as much damage as armadillos. I treated for grubs last week, and usually when those die, the grub eating critters move on, but it must not have worked this time, as the skunks are still here.
If you have any suggestions, we would be glad for the help.

The best way I've heard to get rid of skunks is to close-off their home while they are out at night. Might be hard here... A friend had skunks in the crawl-space under their house and closed off the vent they were getting into. They scratched at it for a night or two trying to get in, but eventually moved on to another 'home'

Steve

BTW, I just want to point out that skunks are notorious carriers of rabies, so although they are insect/grub-eating critters, you want to get rid of them as soon as possible. I'd go with a non-lethal trap of some kind out in the pasture to try to lure them out there and catch them, and then humanely dispatch them to skunk heaven. Oh, and to answer your question about their smell, you're correct - their spray is what smells really, really bad, not the animal itself. I had a friend/co-worker that had one as a pet that had been de-scented.

An update on the skunk saga:
Mom skunk moved on a few weeks ago. Pepe and his sister Babette have stayed on and grown quite a bit. We keep fencing off their hiding places and they keep finding new ones. There is chicken wire all over my yard right now. Plus we are in the middle of a major landscaping project. We had hoped that all the disruptions in the ground on our two acres would move them on, but nope. They probably now live in the pasture next to us, but still spend the night in our yard hunting.
Babette still is timid and we usually see her briefly and in just one area. Pepe strolls up and down the driveway in front of us. They only come out at night, and fortunately, they both have white tails, which look like flags, so we are able to see them in moonlight or a flashlight.
It turns out we are not the only ones with the problem. Several of our neighbors have "pet" skunks as well. We walk through our area in the evening, and come across them regularly.
It looks like trapping is our next option, but if we move these two, there are plenty of others to take their place.

Get rid of them while they are young...they don't have the ability to stink ya yet. Animal control might loan you traps...They love cat food...my neighbor and I raised a skunk when we were kids...and he loved cat food. Put the food in the trap as was suggested, and then let animal control come and pick up their traps...if you wait too long...they will get the ability to spray very quickly...then you have trouble...

cubbybeave08 said:
Get rid of them while they are young...they don't have the ability to stink ya yet. if you wait too long...they will get the ability to spray very quickly...then you have trouble...

And that only takes about a month!!! If there mother has moved on, then they are old enough to spray!! good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.