Do you guys keep your heater running during cold weeks?

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
I just got a heater this year and I keep my water around 82-84*.. It's been great so far (a week)..

This week the highs are: Monday 62*, Tuesday 71*, Wednesday 74*..

Should I turn the heater off, lower the temperature, or keep it as is?

I'm just thinking is it 6 to 1, half dozen to the other type of deal.. What does everyone do?

Thanks

While I do tend to run it periodically throughout the year, except during the dead of winter, I tend to run mine more during the spring. The thought behind that is that Mother Nature is working with me (well... normally...this year has been an exception) to warm the pool and I'm merely giving it a boost. Ran it a lot today since this was the first late-spring-like day we've had so far this year and I'm trying to get the water temp up to seasonal norms.

The fall, OTOH, is a losing battle. The days get shorter, the sun angle reduces, and the temperatures get cooler. If we get a strong late-summer / early-fall cold front, I will crank up the heater as the temperature rebounds, but that's about it for running it in the fall.

On weeks like this I don't use the pool so I don't run the heater. My wife and I usually only use the pool on the weekends so a 5-6 hour warmup on Friday afternoon works fine for me. I figure if I tried to combat a week like this, it would be running most of the time-vs- only a few hours to recover it for the weekend.

While I do tend to run it periodically throughout the year, except during the dead of winter, I tend to run mine more during the spring. The thought behind that is that Mother Nature is working with me (well... normally...this year has been an exception) to warm the pool and I'm merely giving it a boost. Ran it a lot today since this was the first late-spring-like day we've had so far this year and I'm trying to get the water temp up to seasonal norms.

The fall, OTOH, is a losing battle. The days get shorter, the sun angle reduces, and the temperatures get cooler. If we get a strong late-summer / early-fall cold front, I will crank up the heater as the temperature rebounds, but that's about it for running it in the fall.

Ditto, even thought this will only be my second season with a Heater, my patterns of use will be like this.

Tbird, it's really a matter of choice and what you're willing to pay in gas ;) Here in Michigan the nights are often too cool to keep the heat where we'd want it for a morning workout swim, so in our case, we run it all the time to maintain our preferred temp.

In our first year owning this pool/house, we were constantly shutting it off during the week, then cranking it back up for the weekend. My hubby theorized that it might be roughly equal and more enjoyable to just let it run and maintain itself...on the theory that its easier to move a large body of water a few degrees continually rather than weekly try to move that same body of water a great number of degrees.

I was skeptical but as it turned out, he was right. Our gas bills average out to between $200-300 differential each month from may thru Oct, we're content with the expense for the pleasure of 24/7 warm water, and as a result, we truly use the pool daily, even when the temps are cool.

So while it might sound crazy and wasteful on one hand, its really about what you will enjoy and what you can afford. Eg. I will trade having a new car and associated payment for a perma 89 degree season but that's me, not you ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.