brand new liner starting over

Jun 11, 2009
just installed a brand new liner and filled the pool. The PH is good at 7.2 and I have shocked the pool. Test show no type of chlorine at all. Before this I always used the 3" tablets in a in-line chlorinator, but my pool water never seemed crystal clear. At this moment it is clear and I need to know what is the next step I need to do to keep it clear. Thanks for any suggestions.

Can you tell us what the name of the shock product used was and how much of it you used? Depending on your answer you may need to add CYA, also known as stabilizer or conditioner. Since some shock products contain CYA we need to know how much you have added to determine if you need more. You will also need to add chlorine. We prefer plain, unscented 8% bleach from the grocery store. It does not add CYA or calcium to the pool, both of which may be problematic over time. We do not recommend chlorine tablets as they do not release chlorine quickly enough and they add CYA to the water. It is also recommended you have a FAS/DPD based test kit, so that you are able to test the water yourself and use those results to dose your pool.

thank you for the information. So you recommend using household bleach all summer instead of those tablets that go in the in line chlorinator? I am thinking they are what is making the pool in previous years not look clear. How much bleach should I use and how often. Also I did put a gallon in it Saturday and checked it that evening and it still does not show any chlorine levels at all.

I bought the 3" "In the Swim" tablets. ( it states on the container slow dissolving) I actually ordered them on line last year. I would fill up the in line chlorinator and turn the setting knob on 1/2 to 3/4 open depending on what the test read. It always seemed to keep the level at what was recommended on the test strip but the water never was crystal clear.

We need to see a complete set of test results to be able to tell you what your pool needs. I asked about the type of shock product used in order to help determine your CYA level. It is important to know your CYA level so you will know how much chlorine you need to add. Most of us at TFP add liquid chlorine to our pools every day or two.

You will not be able to keep your pool clear with chlorine tablets alone. Chlorine tablets are designed to help maintain a low residual between weekly doses of pool shock. We do not recommend using pool shock, which is one of the reasons we do not recommend tablets.

I have ordered a recommended test kit, but for now I only have test strips. It shows the CYA is way low. It is the color that is the lowest on the strip. So I am using bleach and its still clear, but I read on this site hen I first opened it last weekend, to get the ph correct and then shock it. But you are saying if I use bleach , do not use shock. Will the bleach alone keep it clear and healthy? I am showing FC is 0, ph around 7.2, alk is a little low on test strip, hardness is a little low and CYA is very low. . I expect my test kit today or tomorrow so I can get a true reading.

The problem is that you see a number on that test strip and think that it should mean something. But, it doesn't. Or that it is better than no test at all. But, it isn't. The PH test might say PH is 7.2. And you might be tempted to add something to change it. But, it might really be 7.8 and you might create a problem that doesn't exist now.

We can't wait to see some good test results.

I will hopefully get test kit today and will post the results. I appreciate all the help. I am no pool expert even though we have had the pool now for 20 years. Just put in a new liner and I want to start off right and keep it clear. I was never bad but then again in my opinion it was never really clear like it is at the moment. And of course I called a reputable pool place today and they said on no, we don't recommend using bleach. It will fade everything. I know they want to sell their product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Skitch, I thought the very same thing. The ingredients in bleach is the same as the chlorine tablets. So if one will fade everything out, the other will also in large doses. Ok got my test kit. Chlorine test came in between 2 and 3. PH test came in ideal at 7.6 and alkalinity I am still trying to figure out but I think its around 80. I have never used this type of kit, always those strips. So I am using bleach about 20 to 30 oz. every two days and so far the pool is clear. So does it sound like I am doing it ok, or do you think there is something else I need to do. We have had rain for past two days and calling for more tomorrow but pool is clear. AGAIN, I appreciate everyones advice and help.

Hi bassingal, welcome to TFPC. As pooldv stated above, It is best to read the ABC's of how to do things right. Also at the top of the page you will see pool math. It is a calculator that will tell you exactly what and how much to add to keep your pool perfectly healthy. Just punch in the numbers and away you go. If you have any problems using it or just getting started with it, there are any number of people here who will help you with it or any other questions you have. These people just LOVE to see clean and sparkling pools. You need to run the full set of tests and post them here and the answers will come flying back at you

FC
CC
PH
TA
CYA
CH

These are the numbers they and you will need to get going

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.