New pool owner

May 31, 2015
Bethany OK
I have a Intex 15x42 above ground pool 10,030 gallons. I am just now opening it for the year filling it up. Then have to treat it with all the chemicals and such haven't really done this to will be interesting. A friend told me he uses muratic acid to lower the Ph. Then bleach as a cleaner and baking soda for a stabilizer or to keep the algae down. I have no clue when it comes to this stuff.so any help is appreciated. Thanks

I'm a noob here so don't put a lot into what I say, but...

1st: This place is incredible. I've been here almost 2 years but this is the first summer that I actually GOT IT and have gone with the TFPC method. My water has never, ever been clearer, I've spent much less on chemicals, and I more or less actually understand what I need and why. I'll be contributing for TFP Lifetime Membership in the coming month. Listen to what these people say- it may not always be what you want to hear, but it's extremely good advice and will result in great water.

2nd: If I'm understanding you right, you have a 15' diameter, 42" deep Intex. I don't think there's any way that that could be 10,030 gallons. Last year we had a 20' x 48" Intex and it was less than 10K gallons. If you use the pool math page you can calculate your volume at the bottom. It looks like it's closer to 5,300 gallons. Make sure you know before figuring out your chemicals. If I misunderstood, just ignore me. :)

Good to know before you add chemicals! Once you have a good test kit, plug the results into the pool math page here and it will help you out with what to add. For the most part, it's all stuff from the grocery or hardware store. Bleach (make sure you get some that's not weak or that doesn't tell you the concentration- learned that the hard way), Borax, baking soda, muriatic acid, and a once per year stabilizer (from pool store) will likely do the trick. If you fill with well water, you might need a metal sequesterant at first (we always do). Check out the pool math page, seriously. Plug in your test results from a fas-dpd kit. It works!

You were correct I was reading a different chart for pump running time and I don't know where I came up with that. It is 3,284 gallons so I was way off.
You may want to check this article for Pool School out:

Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

A smaller pool like that is normally "temporary" and can be treated a little different.

How do you test your CYA?
With a pool test kit. Many folks would say have the pool store test it, but not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit That will give you what you need for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. Yo need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.